2010 13" Hot at Idle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wattser93, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Wattser93 macrumors regular

My 13" MBP used to idle at about 120ºF at 2000RPM fan speed at an estimated 6 to 8 hour battery life. Yesterday though, it started acting up. It's now idling at 170ºF+ and is at 3200-4000RPM under idle, with an estimated 1:30 battery life, so something is under a heavy load for no reason.

Activity monitor shows that 50% of the processor is being used, but when you add up the numbers that activity monitor provides, it only comes out to about 10% load. Istat also confirms that the processor is under about a 50% load, so something is creating a load on the processor, but I can't find the source of the problem.

I know how to do a search but in the few minutes I looked I couldn't find one that was unique enough to help me diagnose my problem exactly. Before using Applecare I'd like to try and diagnose it here. And if it's a hardware problem, I'll gladly take a 2011 model in replacement from Apple, so I don't plan on opening up my laptop to look inside or anything.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. Wattser93 thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help. I have no idea what "mds" is. Anybody have any ideas?

4. simsaladimbamba

It is part of Spotlight. It should not run all the time using that many CPU cycles though. Do you have an external HDD connected perhaps?
    Do you download torrents? Maybe exclude folders with big files being downloaded in the Privacy tab of the Spotlight preference pane.

mds – what MDS process is and why it uses CPU on the Mac via "mac mds"