2010 13 inch MBP metallic noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r3dhawk, Aug 9, 2010.

1. r3dhawk macrumors member

I have used Mroogle but everything that i found had something to do with the clicking the hard drive makes when it is moved. The noise my computer is making seems to be coming from the front of the computer near the trackpad. It is metallic-y and rather annoying when browsing the web or streaming movies or playing games. Is this something that i should be concerned about?

I didnt buy it from apple, if that makes a difference on getting the problem fixed.

-r3d

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Does it make this noise when you quickly lift up the machine of shake it?

3. r3dhawk thread starter macrumors member

no its completely different than that sound, but i do know what you are talking about.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Okay. Maybe something is loose (a housing to something is banging agains the inside of the casing maybe?)

Ill admit ignorance here, I know very little about hardware troubleshooting, only software related stuff.

5. r3dhawk thread starter macrumors member

I just want to make sure nothing serious is wrong with my machine.

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I seem to remember seeing a thread almost identical to this before. I don’t remember the solution but you could search google for it.
    (I refuse to use MRoogle for various reasons).

7. csjo00 macrumors regular

Mine does this too..

I assumed it was the sudden motion detector that supposedly supposed to help if you drop your MacBook or something or other.

8. r3dhawk thread starter macrumors member

the sound mine makes is different from the motion sensor.

9. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

Little metal tinkling sound???

I've noticed that when I pick up my MBP off the table relatively fast, I hear a tiny tinkling sound - is this what you are referring to?

10. r3dhawk thread starter macrumors member

no, thats the sudden motion sensor for the hard drive. this is a constant sound that lasts a couple of seconds. not just a click. i wish i could describe it better. ahh!

11. MiniDragon macrumors newbie

12. ccashman92 macrumors regular

That is from a pressure point on the bottom of the Macbook. You don't get that from the hard drive.

13. MiniDragon macrumors newbie

He said it happens when browsing the web. Maybe its not the hard drive. If that noise IS what he is hearing, maybe the hard drive is perfectly fine. Afterall, he said the noise was hard to describe.

14. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem on a 15" macbook pro. I've compared my macbook pro with a 13" and with a 15" but avail... mine was the only one with the defect :/

15. MiniDragon macrumors newbie

Do you mean you hear the sound in the video I linked to? if so there is a fix, but it involves opening the laptop. I think I have this problem also (I'm not sure if the sound my Macbook is making is the same, so I haven't tried it).

Heres the link to the supposed fix.

16. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

You have no idea how thankful I am for that fix you posted. That noise drove me crazy for months. Thanks a lot!

17. PapaStu, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

Sorry to necro this thread, but my 15" 2010 MBP is doing the exact same thing (It was an xmas present that I wasn't able to start using until a few weeks ago).

I initially called Apple support about it and was told by the tech that it was a known issue but that as far as they knew, it had no detrimental effect on the computers operation (though he did admit that the model year had only been in the field for at most 9-10 months so potential longterm problems were unknown). I took it into apple and their fix was the replacement of the logic board. That fix worked for about 2 weeks and now it's back again. It's not as frequent as it was before, but its only a matter of time.

Other than the linked 'fix' is there anything that can be done to make it go away besides constant returns to Apple for service?

18. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

19. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

No, I'm well aware of that HD 'click' when the SMS kicks in when the laptop is moved quickly. This is a metallic/glassy popping sound. It's got nothing to do with motion, as it's happening all the time. Sitting on a desk it happens just as much as sitting on my lap or somewhere else. I know that i'm in California and we love us our earthquakes, but its not the SMS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M

Thats a good example. You'll have to turn up your sound, but the video has the sounds my 15" MBP making.