2010 13 Macbook Pro Builds / Is it Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvis, Nov 8, 2009.

1. jvis macrumors newbie

I would like to know the likely differences between the current 13mbp and the likely january one. I would also appreciate your thoughts on whether if i do not really need the 13 mbp right now, is it worth waiting the 2 months? (Although i do want it now)

Any help appreciated on builds and your opinions.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

How do you know that in January, it is likely a new Macbook Pro will be released?

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given that we don't know what the update are going to be, it seems hard to make some analysis on that.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ahhhhh, there is MRoogle for this, with links to many, many ongoing threats (yes, no "d") about this particular topic.

And for all we know, we know nothing. We guess. That's computer technology 101 + Apple 101 combined. We just don't know. We guess. Have I said that already? I guess.

5. vant macrumors 65816

I am beginning to really hate these posts. People come in these forums expecting us to have insider information, we aren't Apple employees.

6. jvis thread starter macrumors newbie

it is "likely" because according to this website, there is 46 more days until we reach the average amount of time that it takes apple to release an update on the Macbook pro. 46 days lands us near Christmas. But apple has said there Christmas product line is set. Leaving January as the most likely. January is also common month for Macbook pro updates. The MBP has been updated in 3 times in the month of january more than any other month.

If you want to be so nitpicky then ill call it Q1 2010 MBP. My question is still the same.

Also, i know you cannot tell me what is exactly going to be in the MBP that is why i said "likely". I am sorry if i wasnt clear. With the Mroogle use, i tried but all of the builds were 15 or 17 inch. I was looking for 13, I don't expect anyone to be dead on correct, but i wanted a ballpark on the upgrades to see if they were worth it.

Thank you

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Don't rely on the buyer's guide, it isn't 100% accurate. Also, since there is no more Macworld, there may not be any updates in January, you just never know. As to possible upgrades, I say faster Penryn's.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Apple will likely add some new feature that is insignificant in the big picture, but the way they market it, you will feel like it is something you can't live without. That's how they sell computers. As a result if you get a MBP now, you will constantly be comparing it to the new one when it isn't really that much different than what you can get now. If you wait, there will be the possibility of something even better in a few more months and the cycle repeats.

To get the most enjoyment out of your purchase, you should buy a MBP now, or when you need one, then when the next one comes out, convince yourself you don't need X new feature. For example, Apple recently added an SD card slot,which my MBP doesn't have, but how often would I honestly use one? I use a USB SD card reader, and it works just fine. Another feature is the extra long life battery, but how often would I ever use my computer for more than an hour or two on battery with nowhere to plug in?

Possible changes in January are a slight CPU speed boost, but a 2.53 GHz is only 12% faster than 2.26GHz. For me, the newest 15" base model is only 5% faster in terms of CPU than what I have. They might increase the stock hard drive capacity or increase the RAM to 4gb, but those are cheap upgrades that you would probably do yourself anyway immediately after buying one.

The *only* feature I can think of that might be worth waiting for is Light Peak, but I don't think it will be ready for production in January, and even if Apple surprises everyone by adding Light Peak early and Intel uses their monopoly power to kill USB 3 (this situation is likely, IMO), it will be a while before lightpeak devices are widely available and inexpensive, and it will be a while before other brands of computers have lightpeak.

Apple might market the new feature(s) of the newest MBPs as exclusive (7 hour battery, magsafe charger), simplifying (SD Card slot, no button touchpad), fun (iSight), fast (CPU, RAM, or HD increase), or beautiful (unibody design, glass screen). Whatever it is, you need to make sure you don't fall for their marketing, because even if you don't go out and buy a newer computer, you will get less enjoyment out of the one you have if you are constantly comparing it to the newest ones.

Either get something now and enjoy it and don't stress about the newer models, or if you don't need it now, wait and hope you get lucky and then don't worry about the next next models. Remember, Apple wants you to want their latest computers and they are very good at it.

9. zulumonk macrumors member

I was having a similar dilemma deciding between getting a MBP for Christmas or waiting till 2010. This post made perfect sense regarding how Apple is able to make people want their products. I should definitely be satisfied with the current MBP model. Regardless there will likely be 2 new models by this time next year.

10. Takashi macrumors regular

The idea is that Apple needs to sell their products to make money and stay in business. You, the consumer, need to buy their products to keep Apple running.

Whether you buy your laptop now or wait until 2010 will be dependent on whether 1) you can wait. 2) You want new features. 3) You want to be the owner of the newst laptop on the block.

My suggestion is that if you see one that's for sale for a good price, buy it. There will always be new laptops being released every year. You, as the consumer, will go broke evantually trying to keep up with technology. Buy a laptop and stick with it until it dies then buy another one. By doing that you keep your bank account full and keep Apple from going out of business.

11. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I highly doubt the 13" will get a quad core proc or a descrete graphics card. Other than a slightly bumped up C2D, I dont really see what they would change with the current one. I also doubt they'll do another case redesign (meaning new/different ports) because they just did that. I say buy it now unless you're gonna cry about your MBP having a few less mhz than the future gen.

I'd take having a macbook pro now over waiting a few months for a couple hundred possible mhz. That's why I just bought one last week :D

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

If it gets Arrandale, it'll need discrete graphics, no way around it.

13. McBob macrumors member

To answer your original question, in my OPINION:

I think that its very unlikely we'll see any thing groundbreaking like new ports or case re-design.

However, a new CPU is quite likely, I hold out hopes that the 13" gets Arrandale. If so its going to be running more efficiently so we'll have a small bump in battery life, unless apple blows us away and puts in a dedicated graphics card but I consider the chance of that happening to be slim.

Timescale wise I'd be prepared to wait for anywhere within Q1, don't get bogged down thinking it'll be January, but who knows. I look forward to it either way, always nice to see how technology's progressing! (for Apple anyway)

14. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

If you have a system, and are looking to buy a new one right now, I would wait. Purely because it's still a toss-up as to what's going to happen. You'll be kicking yourself at least once if the upgrade is significant.

15. Skibrett3211 macrumors member

Skibrett3211

Macbook Pro Update 2010

I too am looking to buy a new macbook pro 13". From what I've "heard" there may or may not be significant upgrades to the 13", but that isn't stopping me for waiting 4 weeks to find out!!

If you want NEW, wait!! and if they dont come out in January then get the current very well respected MBP!!

16. and.sleepless macrumors member

Why would you post here, that comment wasn't helpful to anyone. Especially not the OP since the thread was started almost two months ago.

17. fairyliquidizer macrumors newbie

...because he was excited and wanted to share his infectious enthusiasm would be my guess. He was also sharing his view which was "if you like new stuff wait and see" (I paraphrase).

I liked his post as it is good to get positive posts. Sadly many internet forums, and Mac ones seam a little more afflicted than average, have people who like posting to put down other peoples contributions, discourage future dialogue, and in general rain on peoples parades. This guy was not doing it.

To bring my metadiscussion to an end, my view is if you have something positive to say no decent person will object and if you have nothing positive to say then say nothing and reflect upon your inner hostility.

Returning to the original subject.... at this stage it is so close to the next Apple event unless ones need is urgent then one ought to await developments. If nothing else, as has been stated earlier the old models should be discounted on Amazon if there is a refresh.

18. Macdicted macrumors regular

Very well said.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with technology. Im ready to buy too , but unless they release something incredible on Wednesday I will buy the current model at a discount.

19. sensithreads macrumors newbie

sensithreads

ok so there was no announcement about a new mac book pro. when is the next product launch likely to come from apple, because I was really hoping we would see a new mac book pro by now and I'm also ready to buy..:confused: