2010 13" Macbook Pro running Windows 10 (Nvidia 320m running 100%)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MrMach7, Aug 9, 2015.

1. MrMach7, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

MrMach7 macrumors newbie

After a couple weeks of frustrating runarounds, I've got a stable method for installing Windows 10 on a 13" mid-2010 Macbook Pro (Macbook7,1) that I suspect will work on other models with Nvidia chips in them.

This is an attempt to iron out issues for those booting into EFI and having Windows 10 automatically install the 320m driver, causing a black screen, BSOD, and Automatic Repair loop. The same happens with any other version of Nvidia drivers for the 300m series.

What I've found to work requires the following. I'm not sure how precise the variables need to be, but in my case, this process requires walking an incredibly fine line:

-Windows 7 (for install via Bootcamp)
    -DDU, a piece of software to completely remove video drivers
    -Wired internet connection (to keep offline at some points)
    -External USB Optical drive (if you have dual HDDs)
    -Bootcamp 4 on-hand
    -wushowhide on-hand

It's worth noting that I have the luxury of performing this on a dual hard drive setup (OSX drive in the optibay mount). Steps should be mostly the same for single HDD users. Here we go...

1. In OSX, do the Bootcamp thing (choose hard drive or create partition for Windows)
    ---For now, we're going to proceed without an internet connection---
    2. Install Windows 7 the old-fashioned way
    3. Once up and running, install Bootcamp 4 and drivers
    4. Reboot into safe mode
    5. With DDU, uninstall video card drivers (I like to give two passes; AMD, reboot, Nvidia, reboot)
    6. Once back in Windows 7, connect to internet via ethernet
    ---Now that we're online, feel free to grab a browser that isn't IE---
    7. Download most recent drivers at Nvidia website (341.44 for me, but if you prefer something older and more stable then get that; you'll be using it again)
    8. Install the video drivers (I unchecked Geforce Experience but kept .Net 4 Framework checked)
    9. Download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10
    10. Once the W10 installer begins, we'll disconnect our ethernet
    ---Let's proceed offline---
    11. Run an in-place upgrade (keep files, etc)
    12. Let Windows 10 install have its day (use express settings, preserve files, just sign the checks)
    13. Once up and running in Windows 10, you may notice your keyboard or whatever works -- pat yourself on the back
    14. You'll find the Nvidia drivers from Step 7 in your downloads folder, time to install that again
    15. Run the installer as you did before (leave 'clean install' box unchecked)
    16. If all went well, nothing should have caught on fire and you can restart back into W10 (may take a little long to load)
    17. Once back in Windows 10, check out Device Manager. It should report your gpu model without any exclamation points, and the PNP Monitor is also running okay
    18. Have a beer

NOW, let's tie up a loose end with the shitshow Windows Automatic Update has become. In my case, I used wushowhide to hide the 320M update that windows finds, but that's a bandaid. There's a thread here on alternate solutions, but I'll list my process in case you're religious about following my guide:

---Let's proceed online, connect via ethernet (or wireless if you want; it's probably not an issue at this point)---
    1. Once you've let Windows 10 to connect to the internet, run wushowhide
    2. Hide the 320M update
    3. Allow other updates to install (if you hit the reboot loop because of kb3081424, this process sorted things out for me in a previous install attempt)
    4. Once restarted, Windows 10 should be looking pretty good
    5. Next, I followed the method in this article under the section "Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update." There are plenty of discussions on preventing automatic downloads with Windows 10, but I figure since we're on hardware from 2010 that runs pretty well in this day and age, that it's probably okay to simply disable any future driver installation unless it's manual.

Final words:

Someone smarter than me can probably explain why this works. I'm sure it has something to do with MBR vs GPT and something carrying over the right way (deleting Windows.old in W10 yielded no consequence besides more disk space). The Bootcamp Assistant is doing something different when it formats the drive for Windows 7, as the final install is not GPT. If anyone knows how to simplify this process without going through Windows 7, then it'd cut about 45 minutes off the whole ordeal.

Some Linux nerds apparently encounter the same issue with the 320M on their computer, but all I want to do is stream some Xbox and have run out of patience, and after a week and a half have no interest in going down the Grub path of PCI-E bus tomfoolery. When it hit me that my original W10 32-bit upgrade didn't exhibit any of the instability or driver issues I'd struggled with for the last week or so, I decided I'd dig deeper on that route. Nothing to lose, and at this point Windows 7 sounded just fine to me as consolation.

I have no idea if this works with Windows 8. I can verify it works with 32bit W7-->32bit W10 and 64bit Win7 --> 64bit W10, due to having retail discs for both. It seems that installing Windows 7 protects the Nvidia drivers, and the MBR scheme remains in place when performing an in-place upgrade. In all honestly, drivers for the 320m can probably be installed endlessly on this build and never exhibit any issues.

Lastly, Nvidia can go **** themselves.

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Interesting ... the lastest drivers for the 320M GPU I can get to work on Windows 7 (64) or on Windows 10 (64) are v. 332.28. I will try to install like you and report back. Thank you.