2010 13" MBP 2.4GHz--wrong battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Jun 6, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Ever since I got this MBP (specs in sig), I never got the 10 hours that I should have been getting. With light browsing, I get about 3 hours to a charge (with bluetooth on, airport on, brightness on high, keyboard backlight off). I cheched iStat Pro and it reported 95% battery health. I downloaded coconut battery, and it reported 94% capacity. I decided to calibrate the battery (fully charge, leave in the fully charged state for 2 hours, drain, leave in the drained state for 5 hours, then fully charge.) That did not change the health in iStat Pro, nor did it change the capacity in coconut battery (it did not affect the amount of time that I get to a charge either). At this point, coconut battery is reporting a capacity of 5468mAh out of the "original" 5770mAh. I reinstalled Mac OS X from the install discs, and now coconut battery reports a capacity of 5516mAh out of the "original" 5770mAh.

The capacity that I had before the reinstall seems to be around the same capacity of the batteries from the previous 13" MBP model. Did my machine ship with the battery from an earlier model? What should I do?

Oh, and I only have 48 cycles on my battery. (I've had it for about 5-5.5 weeks)

When I turn the screen brightness to 50%, turn bluetooth off, and leave the keboard light off, the estimated time in the battery's drop down menu only adds an hour to my estimated time, leaving me with approximately 4 hours.

2. OriginalNot macrumors member

Here is your problem right there. The 10 hour battery life is with Wifi on, light browsing and text editing, screen at half brightness. Everything else should be off.

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

because i anticipated somebody like you saying this, i clarified with an edit in the orginal post, at the end of it.

4. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

Just because the computer tells you there is 4 Hours left does not mean there is four hours left. Try actually doing light browsing etc with those settings and see how long you can go for, not how long the computer tells you you can go for.

5. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

i have tried doing so, but not after the reinstall. before the reinstall, it reported the same estimated 4 hours (with the same settings), and i got less than that (about 2 hours and 45 minutes). I must clarify, that i am not using flash, do not have a disc in the drive, and the fans are not running high (they are stable around 1500rpm).

6. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

im sorry, but i need to bump this thread... i need feedback as soon as possible :eek: