2010 13" MBP Battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abates21, May 6, 2010.

1. abates21 macrumors newbie

I've read the information from both Apple's website and the many threads here regarding battery life. This is my first Mac (and my first post here) and I come from a Windows laptop when I was constantly worried about battery life. After a week of use, I want to make sure this is normal so I'm asking you guys aka the experts.

I ran the battery all the way down last night and then charged back up to 100% overnight then unplugged before I went to work. I get home, fire up the MBP and within 5 minutes, my battery % is down to 95. I turned on the mac, opened itunes, downloaded 3 podcasts and previewed 2 songs in itunes, opened Safari and that's it.

Is this normal? Again, this could be just me being paranoid but I want to make sure.

My screen brightness is on the 2nd dot from the bottom, bluetooth off, wifi on and keyboard backlight is on the lowest setting possible before turning it off completely.

Any help or reassurance would be welcomed.

2. rk1991 macrumors regular

3. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

i don't think you correctly interpreted his post.

OP i assume you mean the percentage went from 100 to 95% using it not speaking capacity correct?

anyways the correct way to calibrate the battery is to charge it up to 100% (light turns green) leave it plugged in for two more hours. then completely drain the battery down.

Hope this helps.

4. rk1991 macrumors regular

my bad
    sorry about that

also when you drain it down it says to either turn it off or leave it in sleep mode for at least 5 hrs so the battery really finishes before charging it up again.

I wouldn't worry about that too much as long as you get 8-10 hrs on it.

Also sometimes there might be other processes/programs running in the background which could cause the battery to go down. And also the battery tends to go down a little even when it is shut off

5. Chromide macrumors newbie

So far my general use of surfing the web and writing some wiki pages at work nets me about 6hrs...that is with constant use of iTunes and an episode or two of a random TV Show.(depends on my mood lol)

IMO this is damn good battery life and definitely a vast improvement over my old netbook's battery life lol.