2010 13 MBP choppy scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Jun 7, 2010.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I'm using chrome 5 and the scrolling seems a bit choppy for the hardware. I mean it's not fluid. Anyone else notice this and any idea why that is?

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Scroling on Chrome is normal on my 15" i5, even inertial scrolling works great. The problem you described is only on chrome or with other apps too?

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I noticed choppy scrolling as well when browsing web pages. Happens in both safari and chrome. It's not super choppy but definitely not as fluid as scrolling in something like a pdf document.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

happens with mine. I always assumed it was flash.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Don't think it's flash on mine, it happens on every page, even stuff like google search results ;)

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yup, fully downloaded, it even happens with pages stored locally.

8. D0rk macrumors member

I am also seeing this on my <1 week old MBP13, in Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Flash is not a factor because I also see this on pages like Google.

9. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's weird, never happened to me in this 1 1/2 month...

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Why don't you try with safari 5.0, it just came out...

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You're using an i5 which I think is making a difference. I also notice a huge amount of choppiness when scrolling a fullscreen photo in iPhoto.

12. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

13. D0rk macrumors member

I just updated to Safari 5, and it helped a little but did not completely fix the problem.

14. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

safari 5 is garbage. should be in beta still. can't render google search results properly. It seems like a hardware issue with the scrolling because theres no way a 2.4 core 2 duo can't render browser scrolling smoothly.

15. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Did any of you find a solution to this problem?

Also, is it normal for webpage scrolling to be choppy, if the site isn't fully downloaded?

16. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I'm getting the same "choppy scrolling" in Safari too. I'm using a 2010 13inch MBP, OSX 10.6.4, Safari 5, Extensions DISABLED, and YES all pages are downloaded completely.

As a comparison, I currently also have my 2007 iMac 2.4 C2D which scrolls any sort of web page in Safari 5 without an issue. This points to a definite problem with the 13inch MBP and NOT specific Safari 5 issue.

It leaves me wondering whether or not Apple are still having problems with the Drivers for the NVidia 320M. IIRC, I got my MBP with 10.6.3 on it and I'm pretty sure it was more snappy. If my memory serves correctly, Valve's Steam for Mac runs like ***** on 10.6.4 with Valve basically telling game users to avoid the .4 release untll driver issues have been resolved.

17. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I've done some further testing to try and see if there's anything specific to my machine that could be contributing to this problem.

Last night I reinstalled the 10.6.4 Combo update from the 800+Mb installation package. I then reset Safari complete and restarted my machine.

........no dice...........

Although scrolling is acceptable using the Trackpad or a MagicMouse, the problem significantly worsens when the keyboard arrows are used for scrolling. On sites with a lot of pictures such as news sites it's far more noticable. On sites such as the Macrumors.com homepage, scrolling is improved.

.........next stop is to uninstall Safari 5 and reinstall Safari 4......

18. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

I recently upgraded to the latest version of Flash and have noticed that scrolling on Flash heavy pages has become less fluid than with the older Flash version.

Go Flash. Figures. :rolleyes:

19. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

no choppiness in safari/firefox/chrome
    really snappy

13" 2010 MBP 10.6.4

not a universal problem

20. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hi aeboi

Are you using the keyboard to scroll through pages or your trackpad?

The reason I ask, is that it's not so noticeable with a trackpad or mouse, although if you scroll very slowly, you can pick it up.

Cheers

21. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

My choppiness mainly (only?) occurs when i scroll through an not-fully loaded webpage.

Also it seems to happen more with my Magic Mouse than the trackpad for some wierd reason.

22. cys920622 macrumors member

Okay, well Safari 5 seems to be a little "choppy" but not Firefox or Chrome.

23. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I use a combination of both

just tried to scroll slowly and it's no different than any PC I've used

24. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Thanks aeboi,

I've just installed Chrome (for the first time) and the scrolling is improved somewhat. So there's definitely something not right with the way Safari renders pages or maybe how it handles keyboard input.

I don't have any other way of testing the Graphics card in my MBP, but it certainly is worse when there's a lot of photos on screen. My old 2007 2.4Ghz iMac doesn't have the same problem.

Hmmm....................