Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awdtrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Hello. I recently purchased a used 2010 macbook pro from some guy on craigslist claiming that he purchased it on feb. 9th on the apple website. I was wondering if it's possible to exchange this 2010 mbp for a 2011 model that just came out? Do I need a receipt to do so?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You are out of the normal 14-day return policy but you can always give it a try. Receipt will at least make things a lot easier.

awdtrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
well I'm reading stories where owners are over the 14 days or even barely over 30 days and still getting exchanges.. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.

awdtrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
it says estimated expiration date: february 9th 2012. so does that indicate that it was purchased on the 9th?

And how is this sneaky on my part? please explain

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Based on that information, he did purchase it on the 9th as long as it's the most recent model (Regular computers just come with the 1 year AppleCare).

However, since he says he bought it online, I'd say your chances are slim at an Apple Store, but depends who you get.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I stand corrected was worried that someone on CL just told you Feb so you would buy it. Is it a stock configuration? If so, be nice and try your luck at an Apple store. I don't think online will be an option, as I don't see Apple willing to ship the replacement to a different name and address.

awdtrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
just came back from the apple store and playing with my new 2011 13" i5 mbp! The transaction went very smooth and fast, had no problems at all!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
sweet! I - unlike other posters it seems - have no issue with someone returning a machine that was upgraded recently. They set their policy, if you fit you fit.. so good for you!

suckatcomputers

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Really? The apple store in my town is doing everything they can to avoid exchanges even with MBPs bought IN STORE. If you were here, I'd say chances are slim, but give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.