2010 13" MBP Exchange for 2010 13" MBP at Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awdtrash, Mar 5, 2011.

1. awdtrash macrumors newbie

Hello. I recently purchased a used 2010 macbook pro from some guy on craigslist claiming that he purchased it on feb. 9th on the apple website. I was wondering if it's possible to exchange this 2010 mbp for a 2011 model that just came out? Do I need a receipt to do so?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You are out of the normal 14-day return policy but you can always give it a try. Receipt will at least make things a lot easier.

3. awdtrash thread starter macrumors newbie

well I'm reading stories where owners are over the 14 days or even barely over 30 days and still getting exchanges.. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.

4. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

5. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Check your warranty status online, it should have the purchase date there.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This.

Go here (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) and enter your serial number. You'll see your date on the next screen. My gut says it is not a Feb machine, but I hope that's not the case.

7. TomCondon macrumors regular

8. awdtrash thread starter macrumors newbie

it says estimated expiration date: february 9th 2012. so does that indicate that it was purchased on the 9th?

And how is this sneaky on my part? please explain

9. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Based on that information, he did purchase it on the 9th as long as it's the most recent model (Regular computers just come with the 1 year AppleCare).

However, since he says he bought it online, I'd say your chances are slim at an Apple Store, but depends who you get.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I stand corrected was worried that someone on CL just told you Feb so you would buy it. Is it a stock configuration? If so, be nice and try your luck at an Apple store. I don't think online will be an option, as I don't see Apple willing to ship the replacement to a different name and address.

11. awdtrash thread starter macrumors newbie

just came back from the apple store and playing with my new 2011 13" i5 mbp! The transaction went very smooth and fast, had no problems at all!

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

sweet! I - unlike other posters it seems - have no issue with someone returning a machine that was upgraded recently. They set their policy, if you fit you fit.. so good for you!

13. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

congrats! sold my mbp 2010 for a 2011 and setting it all up righttttt now

14. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Really? The apple store in my town is doing everything they can to avoid exchanges even with MBPs bought IN STORE. If you were here, I'd say chances are slim, but give it a shot.