2010 13" mbp "must restart"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DUDEMANGUY5, Dec 7, 2010.

1. DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

I was using my MBP today with a external monitor attached, and suddenly a "shadow" swept across the screen from top to bottom. A window popped up basically saying in a few different languages: "There is a problem, you must hold the power button and turn off your computer". When I turned it back on, an error report screen popped up and I reported it to Apple.

I was only running Safari with 2 tabs opened, One on MacRumors the other loading Gizmodo.

Should this occurrence be something that I should worry about?

HELP!:eek:

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

It's called a kernel panic it is caused by a low level error most likely in your case by a graphics driver error.

If it continues to happen then you have a problem otherwise it was probably a fluke.

For future reference, this is the kind of error you begin getting when hardware is failing (hard drive, ram, logic board, graphics card) so if it is happening often you should take it Apple for a full diagnostic.

3. fobis macrumors member

Sighs. Just no. A kernel panic is the equivalent of a Windows BSOD. It is not necessarily triggered by hardware issues (although possible) and by no means does it necessarily mean an imminent hardware failure. While OS X is a rather stable OS, it's by no means perfect and will give you kernel panics on occasion.

Case in point: Logitech's mouse and keyboard software/driver suite for OS X (known as Logitech Control Center) is known to cause kernel panics rather frequently.

4. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I just made the statement that this is the kind of error that you begin getting when hardware begins to fail not that they are mutually exclusive.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I get that screen in iPhoto a lot when scrolling through photos. 60,000 pics chokes it I guess. :D

Before I start blaming hardware I'd look on the software side first.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I get a Kernal Panic every time I try to use geektool.

7. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

I've only had 1 kernel panic in the entire 2 years or so that I have had my MacBook. I could MAKE my iBook G4 kernel panic by unclipping the WiFi antenna from the AirPort card while it was running. I wouldn't worry about kernel panics at all unless it became a regular occurrence. If you did something specific, try to recreate the scenario, and if it happens again take further action (contacting support for a piece of software, or AppleCare if you think it's a problem with Apple's software or hardware).