2010 15 in. Macbook Pro teardown tools Req'd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paintballswimgu, Apr 17, 2010.

1. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find a list of the tools required to take my new i5 15 in. mbp apart. I've swapped hard drives on my 07 mbp before, but i borrowed the tools when i did that. I read the ifixit guide but it doesn't say what sizes
    I know i need: T6 torx, and #00 philips
    What else do i need. I want to be able to swap the hard drive, and in a month or two, instal an optibay
    Thanks

If anyone can recommend, the cheapest place with shipping, that offers decent quality nonmagnetic tools. I'd be appreciative. All of my home tools are Klein tools, so i do appriciate quality, i just would prefer not to spend a ton of money on something i use 2 times

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

T6 is the size, and #00 too.

If you use Google, Bing, Yahoo or any other search engine you will find plenty of them.

You should get those in a good sorted hardware store for less than 10€.

3. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, the problem is, we don't have a good hardware store where i live. The best thing we have is walmart. I'll start looking though.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use Wiha tools; excellent quality; only drawback is that they are more expensive, but this is what a lot technician use include Apple themselves.

If you're looking for something low cost, but good value try the Husky micro bit screw drives. You get 4 bits with 8 Torx sizes and 4 bits with 4 Philips + 4 Flat-head sizes. This one will do the job if you need to fix almost anything; you might want to get a Tri-wing or a bunch of security Torx sizes if you need to strengthen you arsenal, but only the Tri-wing is needed if you wish to remove the MacBook Pro battery. If you have an older MacBook Pro that use a 5-point Torx Plus screw, then you're pretty much not going to be able to get the bits unless you have a license.

Oh the models numbers for the Husky screwdrivers:
    Torx: HD-74502
    Philips/Flat: HD-74501

Add a nylon pludger too.

5. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to go with wiha. I hate tools that break. What size tri tip do i need or secerity head?