2010 15 inch MBP vs 2011 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by engaged44, Mar 19, 2011.

1. engaged44 macrumors member

So I got the 2010 15 inch MBP last june and have to say it is ****ing amazing and it is by far the best computer I have owned.

Recently I helped my mom purchase the 15 inch 2011 MBP and have to say the 2011 machine is great.

as far as performance goes I really don't see a major difference. the difference between the two is sooo minor.

Of coarse the 2010 has the I5 and the 2011 has the I7 Quad Core.

What do you guys think of the new upgrades?

Did you expect more out of this years model or less?

I say it was nothing impressive, but still made improvements

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

a quick search would render countless pages of results. The improvements are far from "sooo minor". But this could be a troll thread?

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Both models offer excellent performance. It really boils down to what you are using the computer for.

4. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Both are great.

Sure the i7 is better quicker machine.
    Buy them if you can afford another 1. otherwise id wait for the new design model comes out sometime next year.

this is what apple do , you think about buying the current model. End up buying it. Couple weeks/ months down the road. BAM new one comes out.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

What makes it a troll thread. Minor can be relative if one is simply doing word processing, web surfing or even minor gaming with base 2011. Everyone can benchmark to show improvements but it comes down to actual usage.

6. propower macrumors 6502a

Dual core to quad core = minor.......

Front Side But to Nehalem memory architecture = minor......

Sell ya a black macbook for a great price.... LOL......

7. nebulos, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

the 2011 macbook pro was meticulously designed to make Safari faster by 0.00000000666%. To us Power Surfers, that edge is MISSION CRITICAL!

;)

A Buddhist monk once asked me: "How much faster does a Ferrari get to the grocery store?"

(I didn't know, but he wasn't wearing any shoes, so I just stomped on his foot and ran away.)

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

Run geekbench, then tell me the difference is minor. Mind you, if all you do is fb and internetz then remember you can do that with an atom.

9. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Im wondering how you ever made that comparison? Is it based on opening Firefox, Office and iPhoto?
    If so, that's not really programs that would utilize the improvement of the machine properly.
    For someone like me who works with heavy loads like video and photography, the improvement is immense.
    I was exporting raws in Capture One Pro yesterday and for the fun of it I decided to time the export of 16bit tiffs... While I only did two files, I'm loving how fast the cpu is. Just 6 secs to export those two files... that's a massive improvement and with often exporting in greater numbers, the time I save is noticeable.

So... point of thread? I'm not sure... Don't buy expensive equipment if you dont really need it...

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

Why is it a troll thread?

I actually noticed the same. The 2010 MBP and the 2011 15" MBP feel the same in speed if you don't do heavy tasks that would max out the cpu of the 2010 MBP.

You'll only see it with encoding video's and stuff like that. Atleast from what I tested in the Apple store.