2010 15" - Inexplicable Power Loss

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cyong, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Cyong, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

Cyong macrumors newbie

Long time reader, first time poster. Machine is a mid-2010 15inch MBP, 8gb RAM, 7200RPM disc drive, 2.66 i7 DualCore CPU.

~Prelude
    Well, I work as a developer, and the software applications I write are for windows servers. Most of the time I get to stay in Orlando, but I am being required to go to a trade show this year. As a result, I grabbed my macbook pro and started up vmware fusion so that I could start building a mobile development environment.

~Issue
    I had been running the installs of windows 7, couple version of visual studio, sql server, office, etc for a couple of hours with my computer plugged into the AC adapter, and the icons in the top right indicating a fully charged battery. During this I had a movie playing in VLC. Did hear the fans running, but to assist with cooling I had propped up the computer with a set of the rubber 'cool' feet things... Without warning the entire laptop went dark. The LED on the power cord still lit a bright solid green, but the battery level on the side was dead. Immediate attempt to restart, no joy. Unplug power cable and plug back in, the laptop came back to life, and complained about the time not being set. The battery indicator said 10 hours to charge... Unplug the adapter, and plug back in... changed to 2 hour~ charge time.

To me, it seems like the adapter might not be able to handle the amount of power needed, but this doesn't sound quite right to me as this is basically stock. Hardware repairs expire in a month. Sent in a call back request for apples phone techs. Was interested in if the community had any other thoughts on what could be going wrong, or if it could possibly lead to a new 2011 macbook pro. (hey, I can dream.)

Now I think this occurred the night before as well because I awoke to the same symptoms, I just wasn't awake enough to think it was an issue (and in any case at that point it was a freak occurrence.)

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Actually, your idea about the power brick makes sense. If you can believe it or not, there are other people who have the same issue. Apparently, the power brick does not provide enough (just barley) so the computer shuts down due to not being able to get enough power, especially with boot camp's poor power optimization (In my opinion) under windows.

3. Cyong thread starter macrumors newbie

ya, the power use in windows is severe... Was hoping to mitigate that by having the vmware hypervisor running under OSX so it could resolve some of them. Funny that the thing you hear when building any computer/server, dont under power it, appears to be what has happened. Time to start looking at Dell/Toshiba again since there is probability that this is just part of the way of the universe.