2010 15" Macbook Pro - should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrankySavvy, Jun 2, 2015.

  1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

    Mar 4, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro with a 2.66ghz Dual Core i7 Arrandale Processor, Nvidia Geforce GT 330M with 512mb discrete VRAM, 4GB Ram and upgraded Solid State 250GB Hard Drive. The speed is still fairly peppy. The only issue is the battery. It only lasts around 3 hours tops when doing standard tasks like iTunes and web browsing.

    I have been waiting on broadwell for over a year to upgrade, I bought an SSD to speed this thing up last summer. Its been a long wait.

    But is the 15" 2015 rMBP a worthy upgrade or should I wait?

    To be honest, I know the new 2015 rMBP will be plenty fast for what I do, mainly photoshop, illustrator, indesign. I am more nervous about a redesign. I know, I am vain.

    The recent upgrade of the Macbook is downright sexy, it would be amazing if we saw an upgraded 14" or 15" redesigned Macbook Pro soon. It seems pretty obvious it is coming soon, just when?

    Also do you think they will drop dedicated GPU's in favor of an integrated architecture to fit a slimmer redesign? I have always been a fan of discrete GPU's just in case i needed the extra power for gaming or 3D or video editing. It would be a bummer if they did.

    What do you guys think?
  2. totten76 macrumors regular


    Mar 12, 2015
    I would say go with the new 15" Macbook Pro.

    The 12" MB in my opinion is more of a cool designer "item" so the colors will be likely to stick with that laptop. The MBP is exactly that...PRO. It doesn't need some fancy colors to sell so I wouldn't hold your breathe on that.

    We are also all just speculating a major redesign coming with SkyLake...it may even be CannonLake, or the unibody is here to stay.
    Once again we are all just guessing but most of us believe that the dGPU is here to stay.

    I hope you get a laptop that suites you :)
  3. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

    Mar 4, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the quick reply. Also the rMBP was redesigned at the end of 2012, right, and the unibody Macbook in 2008, so 2016 for redesign?
  4. Heisenberg888 macrumors member


    Dec 31, 2014
    The usual advice is if you need it now then get it. No point waiting. But the current rMBPs were first released in June 2012, so by going by your logic of the 2008 was the year the unibody MBPs were released then yes either 2016 or I think when Skylake is released later this year.

    Intel just announced thunderbolt 3 will combine with USB type C in one single port. . Going by the new Macbook design Apple will probably get rid of magsafe 2 and I think they will likely combine the thunderbolt and USB ports in the new design. I suspect for the pro models they will be "generous";0) and give two of these thunderbolt 3 ports, upgrade the the HDMI to 2.0 and hopefully keep the SDX card all within a thinner design; I also think they will likely keep the discreet graphics in the top end model only. So if you can hold off then wait for this.
  5. Eithanius macrumors 65816

    Nov 19, 2005
    I'd change the battery myself and wait for Skylake and Thunderbolt 3 on USB-C...

    On another note, I have the same 2010 MBP model as yours and changed the battery 2 months ago, rocking on 8GB RAM and 500GB SSD...

Share This Page

4 June 2, 2015