2010 15" Macbook Pro shutting down when moved

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LJMM, Mar 15, 2011.

1. LJMM macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I got my macbook pro in November 2010 and it was worked perfectly until this last week. When it's plugged in and I make a small sudden movement it will instantly shut down. It will remain unresponsive (the little battery light on the side won't illuminate and the power button does nothing) for just under a minute and then it will start up. Once it has started up again, it will tell me that "your computer's clock is set to a date before January 1, 2008. This may cause some applications to behave erratically." However, my clock was set properly before it shut down and is still correct when it starts up.
    After it has booted up again it doesn't recognize my battery charger until the battery has around 5-10% life left, but it will recognize my roommate's charger right away (he has a MBP from 2008). This has happend 4 times in the last 5 days, twice already today! Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I tried researching online but I can't come up with anything!
    Thanks!
    I should also mention that it doesn't happen every time it is moved and it has only happened when plugged in. I went to user support at my university and the hardware guy isn't in for a little while, so I'm hoping it's something I can fix on my own soon.

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

When you move it and are on battery it's fine? If your roommate's charger works fine, I would suggest looking for a new charger or perhaps getting a new one from applecare if you are lucky (not too sure what the policy is on those).

3. LJMM thread starter macrumors newbie

It hasn't happened when it's on battery or when I use my roommates charger. I've been sitting here moving it all around on battery and hasn't shut down yet.
    I'm hoping it's something simple like getting a new charger. Being a university student who does everything on a computer, I can't afford to be without it for a few days.

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It seems that the problem is isolated to that one charger. If you have access to another charger (perhaps another friend's charger) and you could try that, that would in theory confirm the problem.

5. rhdparis macrumors newbie

Shut down when moved suddenly

I have exactly this problem. LJMM did you manage to find a solution? Was it indeed the charger?