2010 15" MBP i7 - Black screen followed by 3 beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gobigorange, Nov 9, 2011.

1. gobigorange, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

gobigorange macrumors member

Hi Folks,
    I'm not sure what to do at this point. My 2010 15" i7 started beachballing more, followed by garbled video, black screen, random shutdown and eventually the three beeps signifying something is up with the RAM. I took it in to my local Apple Authorized Service Provider because eventually it wouldn't even start up. They sent it off to Apple who replaced the RAM. It came back to me, and six days later it is doing it again. However, when I took it back in, it did manage to start up normally. They took it in to their repair depot, and a few days later told me to wipe it, and reinstall the OS. I did so even though I'm pretty sure it is not a software issue. I plan on taking it to them again tomorrow. Any suggestions?

By the way, I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and it won't even finish.

2. Mersailios macrumors regular

When you run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT), is it simply freezing or is the screen going blank followed by three beeps?

You've hit the nail on the head as far as three beeps indicating an issue with the memory, and if they've replaced the memory it is possible that one of the memory slots on the logic board itself may be faulty. I'd recommend taking the computer back to the Apple Authorized Service Provider to see about having it serviced again as this sort of issue isn't indicative of a software issue.

3. gobigorange, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

gobigorange thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. The three beeps usually occur first when I am using my computer. The screen goes blank then three beeps. Then I turn it off and turn it back on. Still three beeps. Eventually, it will start up normally.

For the AHT, it just freezes partway through. No 3 beeps. It has yet to complete.

Edit: The AHT just finished the short test (the 3 minute one) for the first time, and it didn't find anything. Running the long test now.