2010 15" MBP + new SSD, please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crabhands, May 18, 2015.

1. crabhands macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MBP i5 running 10.6.8 with 8gb of ram.

I recently swapped out the hd for a Samsung 850 EVO and am having massive problems:

With the drive running internally I get slow downs and crashes (gray screen, computer freezing) and the access speed of files on the drive are much worse than with the original 5400rpm drive.

On the other hand it runs smoothly enough when it's booted as an external and running using a SATA>usb cable!?!?!?

The original drive works fine when internally, certainly doesnt exhibit as slow speeds or any of the crashing/freezing when mounted internally.

I have now tried both cloning the original drive (using CCC and SuperDuper) and also reinstalling using my original disks and seeing what happens.

Does anyone have any ideas!? Please help!

Thanks!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Since the SSD works fine externally, that probably isn't your problem.

You likely have a defective SATA cable in your hard drive bay, which works fine with the SATA II hard drive but doesn't with the SATA III SSD.

3. crabhands thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, I ordered one at the end of last week as that seemed possible so I'll be able to test that possibility when it arrived later this week (I should hope).

It just seems weird to me that it should have such a huge effect on 1 drive only but then I evidently would know :)

If anyone else has any other suggestions also id love to hear them but I'll report back when I've tried the new SATA cable also.

4. Maxx Power, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

EDIT: I realized that this thread is very old after I made my reply. Whoops.

This is a CLASSIC issue with any Nvidia MCP-chipset based Macs, all circa 2008-2011ish.

The problem is that the Nvidia controller can not properly negotiate SSD speeds and leads to both
    (1) Data corruption,
    (2) Sluggish speeds.

It probably has absolutely nothing to do with your SSD.

The ONLY solutions at the time (a few years ago) that were confirmed working, without data corruption in a few months time (varies from 1 month or so to a few at the most) and without downlinking from SATA II to SATA I speeds were the Crucial M500s. I also personally used this series of SSD on Nvidia MCP-series chipsets with success. There has not been a comprehensive attempt to figure out which modern SSDs since 2009-2010 era that works with the Nvidia MCP-series (79 and 89) since then.

You can google the issue, but here is a link to get you started:

http://blogs.helsinki.fi/tuylaant/2014/01/upgrading-old-macs-to-ssds/

Essentially, you need to find a Nvidia MCP-compatible SSD. How many of these are out there nowadays is anyone's guess, but essentially, all of Samsung's, Intel's, Sandisk's, etc are out. The only working solutions came from Crucial in the form of M500s, which are WAY out of production.