2010 15" MBP + new SSD, please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crabhands, May 18, 2015.

1. crabhands macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MBP i5 running 10.6.8 with 8gb of ram.

I recently swapped out the hd for a Samsung 850 EVO and am having massive problems:

With the drive running internally I get slow downs and crashes (gray screen, computer freezing) and the access speed of files on the drive are much worse than with the original 5400rpm drive.

On the other hand it runs smoothly enough when it's booted as an external and running using a SATA>usb cable!?!?!?

The original drive works fine when internally, certainly doesnt exhibit as slow speeds or any of the crashing/freezing when mounted internally.

I have now tried both cloning the original drive (using CCC and SuperDuper) and also reinstalling using my original disks and seeing what happens.

Does anyone have any ideas!? Please help!

Thanks!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Since the SSD works fine externally, that probably isn't your problem.

You likely have a defective SATA cable in your hard drive bay, which works fine with the SATA II hard drive but doesn't with the SATA III SSD.

3. crabhands thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, I ordered one at the end of last week as that seemed possible so I'll be able to test that possibility when it arrived later this week (I should hope).

It just seems weird to me that it should have such a huge effect on 1 drive only but then I evidently would know :)

If anyone else has any other suggestions also id love to hear them but I'll report back when I've tried the new SATA cable also.