2010 15" MBP Optibay Replacement Fail!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by got2go, Jun 3, 2011.

1. got2go macrumors member

This afternoon I received my newmodeus optibay caddy and attempted to replace my optical bay with a second HDD. Everything was going well until I tried to remove the airport assembly. The first screw came out great but the second one was not going to be moved and I ended up stripping it. That was allright because i was able to carefully move the airport assembly enough to get at the screw under it. However attempting to unscrew this or the other screw on the lateral side of the bay with the phillips bit included with the ifixit kit is impossible. The adapter end is too large to fit into the area between the drive and the edge of the case.

My plan is to get another phillips screwdriver that will fit and try it again. What a freaking bummer.

2. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

3. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Hi there
    My advice for everyone is to buy high quality screw drivers for operating on your MBP. The ones that come with the package are not very good.

4. got2go thread starter macrumors member

I bought some screw extractors off amazon.com and finally got the screw out after about 15 minutes and almost giving up twice. Everything's working great now.