2010 15" MBP RAID 0 SSD Setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pbmagnet4, Aug 30, 2012.

1. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

So this weekend I will be installing two 240gb SanDisk SSD's into my roommates 2010 15" MBP. Along with the SSD's an optibay enclosure for the other SSD was purchased aswell. The question I have is, how do I set these two dives up as RAID 0? I know the dangers of RAID 0, lets skip the talk if at all possible. Why is he doing this? Cause he can I suppose... Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

From what I've picked up it is not really practical. The speed increase apparently would be minimal except with large files, the power consumption greater and boot up times are increased due to the raid having to initialise.

The Samsung 830 I put in a early 2011 15" is reading about 470mb/s and writing at 380 mb/s or so. It seems more than fast enough for me.

3. pbmagnet4 thread starter macrumors regular

OK well that doesnt really answer my question... Im going to do this I just want to know how to set it up...

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Install the SSDs. Boot into a Mac installer using a USB boot drive (Mountain Lion I presume) by holding down the option key when you turn on the Mac.

Navigate to disk utility, and configure the drives as a RAID 0 array.

This YouTube video may be of some help.

BTW, there are plenty of tutorials around. Google is your friend.

5. pbmagnet4 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I know how to use Google, I dont see why it is difficult to answer seemingly succinct question, but +1 just for answering the question.