2010 15" MBP wakes up for no reason from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZHP, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ZHP macrumors newbie

My MBP has been waking up for no apparent reason for the past month or so. I'm unsure of what is actually causing it. When I close the lid, it will wake itself up about 5 seconds later. The same problem happens in Windows, too. I cannot seem to pinpoint a problem, as both OS's do not report what is waking it up. Windows will simply show nothing woke it up when I do a powercfg check.

[​IMG]

As you can see, other than the times when I opened up my laptop, it cannot determine the reason for why it wakes. What could be wrong?

2. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

Go to a genius? Call apple? Have you done these things? Typically people come here if they have done those things/the macbook is out of warranty.

3. ZHP thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's out of warranty. If this is something I can fix here, that'd be great. I'm just hoping someone else can chime in on what could cause it to wake up for no reason.

I hate having to make a reservation at the Apple store and drive over there to have them look at it. If they need to repair it, I would like to simply do it myself and not pay them lots of money to do it and then get those lame security screws put in.

4. alFR macrumors 68020

USB or Bluetooth device waking it up? Does it happen even if you've not got a keyboard, mouse or USB hub etc. attached?

5. ZHP thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, nothing's plugged into it. No wireless devices or anything. In Windows, my entire screen will actually turn on. If I close it twice, it will finally turn off.

I'm worrying that this is some obscure hardware problem :(

Oddly enough...certain weird events will turn it back on. When it's on Windows, sometimes if I unplug my power adapter, it will wake the computer :confused: But it doesn't do it all the time.