2010 15" MBP + Yosemite = WOW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlien, Oct 18, 2014.

1. charlien macrumors regular

I have a dual core i5 MBP that I've done upgrades to in an effort to keep it speedy such as add RAM to the max of 8G, adding a 256G SSD + 1TB to make a fusion drive. Each were improvements. By far the best thing I did was put Yosemite on it. I was considering getting a new rMBP but am blown away at the performance boost I just got. And, I did it as an upgrade over Mavericks so the boost I'm seeing is not what you get when you do a fresh install.

Just wanted to let others know that may be on the fence - go for it.

2. Sti-R macrumors member

Do you happen to own a iphone 6, too? Do you know if continuity and the answer phone call from 2010 macbook pro works?

3. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

I don't own an iPhone 6 but from what I've read the bluetooth LMP needs to be at least 0x6. Mine is 0x4 so I doubt it will work.

4. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I just installed Yosemite on my 2012 13" inch MBP with 16gb ram. It looks like it's quicker/faster and more responsive than previous versions. Is that the kind of performance boost you are referring to OP? Can you elaborate a bit? Just curious as to what you're seeing.

5. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

It is a lot snappier. For example, with prior versions of OS X it would take several seconds for my wireless to connect after opening the cover. It is now immediate. Applications don't seem to open faster but once open seem to run better.

6. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Yes, I think that is what I'm experiencing as well.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I put it on my 2010 i7, I'm not a fan of the look, but I use the Mac Pro with Mavericks as my main machine.

8. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

The more I use this OS, the more responsive and fluid it seems. Getting used to the look and font. Very pleased with the upgrade, even without having an iPhone, which I think would really make this OS maximally useful.

9. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

Now, if IOS 8.1 fixes the mess I have with IOS 8.02 on my iPad2 I'll be a happy camper.

10. greygordon macrumors newbie

Glad I found this thread. I have been really reluctant to upgrade even to Mavericks with the video card problems some people have had (just upgrading to Lion screwed my machine and I had a new motherboard under Apple warranty) so pleased to hear that Yosemite may not have similar issues. Still a bit nervous though until the OS has a bit more exposure. Am off to see a Genius on Friday with my iPad2 "running" 8.0.2 to see if he can get it to start up properly. Problem seems to be lack of memory (not storage, memory), half what the newer models have. Will be monitoring posts here to see other people's experiences before I bite the bullet!

11. greygordon macrumors newbie

Updated iPad2 with iOS 8.1. Waste of time, no better.

12. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

My experience was the exact opposite. It started out sluggish but after a hard reboot is running as fast as it did on IOS 7. I'm pleased.