2010 15MBP- 2.53 v 2.66GHZ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fcortese, Aug 4, 2010.

1. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I am thinking about buying a new MBP and plan on getting Aperture 3. Besides the GHz difference the main issue is the i5/NVIDIA 256MB v i7?NVIDIA 512MB. Is the boost in Intel Core and graphic MB worth the $200 difference? I will more than likely be getting more RAM and going with 8GB, so I am looking at trying to keep some of my cost down-which seems to keep climbing every time a click on another "upgrade!" Thoughts and advice gladly accepted.:)

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I would say no, get the hi-res display instead.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The difference is unnoticeable unless you are planning on using a hi res external monitor for graphic intensive stuff

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I would say get the i7. Don't forget it has turbo mode. Aperture 3 is really hungry. My old 2.53 C2D would clog up but my i7 does clog up no where nearly as much. I am going to upgrade to 8GB as soon as the prices drop.

5. Muireann macrumors newbie

I'm also trying to make the i5/i7 decision. I don't do anything as intensive as Aperture on my laptop, but I do plan to run downloaded high-res movies through the HDMI connection to a Pioneer amp and then to a full HD Panasonic plasma TV. I keep hearing i7 if you use an external monitor, but I also know a television isn't quite the same thing.

6. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Dude that is BS! I have a Mac Mini 2.26Ghz with 2GB of RAM and it runs full 1080p movies on my plasma with no trouble. A 2 year old MacBook will have no trouble at all. Even the current MacBook can do what you want. i5 WILL do everything you want it to do.

7. Muireann macrumors newbie

Thanks much, Mike. I currently play .avi files through my 2004 iBook with good success, but they aren't very HD. I've tried playing some .mkv files but Quicktime hangs and sputters and is generally unhappy. I'm hoping the newer machine will fix that. I have a desktop Mac Pro for intensive computing. The MBP is for internet, general computing at work, and home theater. Sounds like the baseline model will work fine for me (with high-res AG of course).

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

If you have the money, go for it. Get the highest spec your budget allows.

9. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I do have a 2 year old 24" external monitor (frankly, I need to check if it's hi res, but I think it is-I am at work right now and will check when I get home). I just might have to bite the bullet and spring for a few more bucks. thanks to everyone for your replies.:):apple: