2010 17" MacBook Pro - Screen Pressure Point

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryannazaretian, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I've had this MacBook Pro since September 2010, and it has been pretty good with very few problems.

Within the past few months, I've been noticing that the entire bottom of my screen has a weird color to it, and more recently, the right bottom corner has gotten much worse.

It's hard to describe, so look at the attachments.

Photo Jan 29, 2 25 10 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 2 26 16 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 2 26 27 PM.jpg

This laptop has never been dropped, sat on, spilled on, or anything dropped on it. My best guess is that the LCD is experiencing hinge stress from opening and closing the laptop so much. I never set stuff on top of the laptop either. The lid closes flush the the base and has no dents in the lid.

Do you think Apple will cover it? I know they don't cover normal wear and tear, which is what I would consider this. It's under warranty until September this year.

Also, it's not so much of a cosmetic issue. It affects how well I can read stuff in that corner. Text kind of fades out in the right corner and near the bottom of the screen.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That's not normal wear and tear. I've had several laptops over the years, using each for between 3 and 5 years, and have never had that happen to any of them.

I'd take it in and get it fixed while you've still got warranty left.

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

As a follow up... Apple fixed everything.

When on call, they said some of the older (aka my era) 17" MacBook Pros received defective screens. They would have a chemical reaction, causing what would appear to be burn marks on the screen.

I sent it on on Thursday, and received it back on Saturday. I couldn't be happier with the service!

On another, even finer note... my aftermarket Crucial RAM that I purchased for my MBP was found to be faulty, and Apple replaced it with 8GB of 'their' RAM. I never noticed any problems with it, but again, I'm not going to complain.