2010/2011 11" MBA - Interchangeable Screen Assembly's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SecondHandMac, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SecondHandMac macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a Late 2010 11" Macbook Air with a fried logic board and a Mid-2011 11" Macbook Air with a broken LCD. I'm wondering if I can swap screen assemblies?

I would be using the 2010 screen assembly on the 2011 computer?

Yes, or no?

Thanks!

2. SecondHandMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Question = Answered...

I disassembled both machines this evening, and upon attaching the 2010 screen assembly to the 2011 body, I noticed two things:

1) 11.6" Mid-2011 MacBook Air's did not use a shim between the hinge and case assembly like the 2010 model, which had a single metal shim between each hinge.

2) Since the Bluetooth/Airport board is mounted differently on the Mid-2011 Logic Board, the antenna cables on the Late-2010 screen assembly DO NOT reach. I repeat, they DO NOT REACH.

Long story short - This does not work.

Hope this helps someone.

3. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Sorry, I just saw this. Having changed multiple display assemblies, I can confirm your findings, they are not interchangeable.

That said, and I haven't tried this, but, the LCD panel may be swappable if you want to risk your fingertips with a razor to extract it.

4. dingaling007 macrumors newbie

Sorry to dig up this old thread, But does the 2010 screen turn on and display an image on the 2011 chassis?

If its just the antenna cables bieng too short, its easy to extend them. Not sure about the washer in the hinge being and issue?