Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
I was really rooting for Leeds to return to EPL. They were in the promotion/playoffs zone for most of the season. Sad sad times.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Sneering disdain!

Get the Welsh out the Premiership! :p
I know a few of people who were hoping for a Reading win today, for no other reason that it would prevent a Welsh side from gaining promotion.

I don't see the problem – Swansea have as much right to be in the Premier League next season as Manchester United. Good luck to them, says I.

I was really rooting for Leeds to return to EPL. They were in the promotion/playoffs zone for most of the season. Sad sad times.
No, I'm not biting. Mustn't bite. :p

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Well done Swansea. Yet again the Championship playoff is a cracker.

Two of the 3 promoted sides are geographically out there, no short away trips for them. I think Swansea's nearest opponents are the Birmingham clubs, at approximately 160 driving miles, whereas Norwich's nearest at the London clubs at approximately 110 driving miles.

Premier League now; private jets with all the trimmings.

Silencio,

Hope you are right about Evra, it's his wandering and pace I'm worried about.

A team to compete; put into the Manchester United team two midfielders who:

the defence and attack are happy to pass to because they know the ball won't be lost,

can attack and defend.

Of course you've got to bring them through/identify and attract them. Don't get to see the European leagues, any thoughts from those who do? Banega has been mentioned elsewhere.

Ashley Young; would be a squad player covering the wing, behind the striker, and set pieces. Maintaining rather than the difference.

Cheers,
OW

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Scholes should retire. He started off the season so brightly, but never really recovered from a groin injury he sustained midway through. United can't keep the nostalgia tour going anymore.
Ask and you shall receive – he's announced his retirement with immediate effect.

Apparently he's to stay on at Old Trafford in a coaching capacity – teaching youngsters how to tackle, one would hope.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Ask and you shall receive – he's announced his retirement with immediate effect.

Apparently he's to stay on at Old Trafford in a coaching capacity – teaching youngsters how to tackle, one would hope.

I first saw him play against the Wolves reserves and you could tell he was a class player. It was a cracking match and United had some great youngsters who were soon to step up to the first team; Paul Scholes, David Beckham, the Neville brothers & Nicky Butt.

Alan Hansen wasn't as impressed as me, he famously stated "you'll never win anything with kids" after Fergie played them in the first match of the 1995-6 season and they lost against Villa. He obviously knows what he's on about as they won the double that season. :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
We've discussed before the fact that relatively few 'top level' English players ply their trade abroad early in their careers – but I read tonight that Chelsea's England U21 international Michael Mancienne is currently having a medical at Hamburg.

If he makes the move, good luck to him – and it's good to see a decent young English player make such a move. Look after him, takao. ;)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
We've discussed before the fact that relatively few 'top level' English players ply their trade abroad early in their careers – but I read tonight that Chelsea's England U21 international Michael Mancienne is currently having a medical at Hamburg.

If he makes the move, good luck to him – and it's good to see a decent young English player make such a move. Look after him, takao. ;)

He's just had a pretty poor season with Wolves after looking promising in the previous two seasons we've had him on loan. Hope he does well in Germany.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)

looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the HSV ... the last few years they have been running a very old team in general so a young talented player has a good shot there since they want to rebuild the squad
their last season has been extremely dissapointing but competition is fierce in league at the moment

on the other side the rumor mill is in full swing about Miroslav Klose: his contract is up end of june and Bayern only wants to offer him 1 year and he wants 2 years
the list of interested clubs mentions Milan, Lazio, Everton and Tottenham Hotspurs

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
In other news, I'm sure we're all up to speed on what's going on at FIFA Towers at the moment. Blatter (rather conveniently) now has no opponents ahead of tomorrow's election, the Scottish FA have joined with their English counterparts in calling for said election to be postponed, and Blatter himself yesterday staged a bizarre press conference which seemed to consist of him doing little more than snapping at the gathered journalists.

Meanwhile, Blatter's partner-in-crime Jack Warner has been suspended and a number of FIFA's sponsors – sorry, partners – are publicly issuing very carefully worded concerns about how things are developing over in Zurich.

Also, an Aussie politician is wanting a refund on the monies spent on his country's failed 2022 World Cup bid – a tournament it seem that they never had a chance of getting. Hmm. Good luck with that one.

In conclusion then, FIFA are more than a bit rubbish and Blatter is a self-serving twunt of the highest order

As you were.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
In other news, I'm sure we're all up to speed on what's going on at FIFA Towers at the moment. Blatter (rather conveniently) now has no opponents ahead of tomorrow's election, the Scottish FA have joined with their English counterparts in calling for said election to be postponed, and Blatter himself yesterday staged a bizarre press conference which seemed to consist of him doing little more than snapping at the gathered journalists.

Meanwhile, Blatter's partner-in-crime Jack Warner has been suspended and a number of FIFA's sponsors – sorry, partners – are publicly issuing very carefully worded concerns about how things are developing over in Zurich.

Also, an Aussie politician is wanting a refund on the monies spent on his country's failed 2022 World Cup bid – a tournament it seem that they never had a chance of getting. Hmm. Good luck with that one.

In conclusion then, FIFA are more than a bit rubbish and Blatter is a self-serving twunt of the highest order

As you were.

mentioning the whole lot leaves a very bad taste in my mouth...

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
mentioning the whole lot leaves a very bad taste in my mouth...
Come now – the whole election system is very fair and I'm sure that the FIFA delegates will pick the best candidate from the many excellent options presented to them...

blatter.jpg

For the good of the game? Really, FIFA? They're like the bloody Zimbabwe of sport governing bodies. :rolleyes:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Just got back from being in the field and was shocked to find Blatter re-elected unopposed. :rolleyes: FIFA is an incredibly unfunny joke. But nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future. Even a worldwide financial crisis couldn't stop the eternal buffet.

I think Pep is the one requesting Short term deals actually, I seem to remember him being quoted saying so.

Owen signs a new deal, and now the papers say Berbatov is on the way out. Maybe that's true, but I don't see the two being that connected - who really thinks Owen is a better striker than Berbatov? I suppose Alex did for the CL final...but the Bulgarian scored 21 goals last season, only 5 fewer than Chicharito, Owen and Rooonay combined.

Last edited:

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Mark Hughes gorn...

Handed in his resignation after less than a year in charge at Fulham.

Pretty disappointing considering that he was just about to sign an improved contract, but decided to activate a clause in his contract allowing him to become a free agent. We'll see how ambitious he is when come the start of next season he is out of a job.

Link

Last edited:

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
He's denying that any club has made contact with him, and Villa are reckoning he's not on their shortlist – could Cardiff City be a destination for him?

Nothing in the local media linking the two, Can't think he'd resign from a premier league club to joint a championship one.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
I don't know, I'm just trying to join the dots and work out what his thinking is. :eek:

He has links with Chelsea of course, and they're currently looking for a manager – but they'll no doubt want a bigger name with a proven track record.

His statement about wanting to broaden his experience could maybe indicate that he's looking to spend a spell abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.