2010 - 2011 MBP exchange question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Horney, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Horney macrumors newbie

Sorry for starting yet another thread on this, I did ask in one of the others but it seems to have got missed in amongst the arguments of it effecting apples profit margins.

So anyway I have a query on all this exchange business. I bought my 13" MBP on 4th feb having saved up for months and months to replace my G4 iBook that had, after 6 years faithful service, become a little too aged for my Photoshoping as a hobby photographer.

I bought mine through Amazon.co.uk. If I were to go into an Apple store with the receipt would they exchange it for a new one. I am a bit gutted about the release of the new one so close to my purchase however I proper love my little MBP and won't be overly fussed if they won't exchange it, after all why should they really?

I wouldn't normally even contemplate this kind of thing, after all stuff gets replaced all the time these days. My Canon 400D was replaced with a new model about 4 months after I bought that. But I meander, I intend this recent purchase to last as long as my old iBook and the chance of having a better machine with a faster port means it is more likely to be able to keep up with future software for 6 years than the one I bought 3 weeks ago.

What are your thoughts people?

Nick

2. Horney thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I also meant to add I did get one helpful reply:

Nick

3. Horney thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I phoned Apple Support and they said no, only 14 days and if it was faulty or if I wanted my money back. Gonna try my nearest store next.

nick

4. Horney thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple store said yes, but only if I had bought it through Apple. Damn me for saving £50 by buying it on Amazon. lol.

Ah well, I love it still and it will hopefully serve me well for many years.

nick

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Save up for the redesgin model next year :D

I also got my MBP through a reseller and would have still been in the exchange window had I wanted to exchange (although I expected Apple to say no anyway)

6. Horney thread starter macrumors newbie

It'll 4+ years till I upgrade again as I don't have much expendable income. I have a great little laptop though so I'm not complaining. :cool:

Nick

7. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i love mine - i got mine on the 4th feb via insurance claim.

i've still not come across any issues with mine - currently pricing up a nice 750gb hard drive and 8gb of ram :D

but mine's going to be hooked up to a nice 23" dell monitor for when i need the additional space!

i love mine to bits - but i'm already saving for my next one :D i think im going to look at a imac 21" or a pro and hook that to the dell..

Vinda

8. Horney thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm gonna go for a bigger drive at some point. When I'm editing large batches of photos I hook it up to my 37" 1080P telly. That works a treat!

nick

9. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

I bought my 2010 a week before you did from Apple and was able to get an exchange. As with any new/upgraded electronic product, my 2011 MBP has a couple minor but irritating problems, and my long gone 2010 MBP was more solid, ran smoother, more quiet, and didn't have these annoying 1 to 2 second delays when running programs or browsing in Safari. I must say I LOVE the faster processor and i will LOVE the Thunderbolt (which most of us probably can't use for a couple months). I've been to the Apple store 5 times the past 4 days and the guy told me I'm one of many who have done so.

Although I don't care about the "downgrade" in graphics, some of my friends say it's a noticable difference.

Conclusion: You shouldn't feel bad at all. You have a great machine. Just remember there is a slight pattern in Apple's releases for your next purchase. Buyer'sguide!;)