2010 21in vs new 27in entry level iMac will I see a big difference

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrskullfreak, Apr 12, 2015.

1. mrskullfreak, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Just wondering will I see a major difference is performance?
    Besides the bigger screen lol

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You would see a large performance difference only if you have at least a Fusion Drive upgrade.

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Order it with the fusion drive or 256 SSD upgrade and you will see a huge difference. If you do CPU/Video tasks you will also see a large difference there.

4. MartinAppleGuy, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

You will see a big difference no matter what hard drive you choose. What is the exact spec of your iMac? Is pretty much comparing a first generation I series processor to a fourth gen. Plus I'm guessing the iMac you are looking into have more ram as well. Plus a considerably better graphics card. A good question would also be what do you do on the machine? If you are just web browsing and checking emails, then there will be hardly an noticeable difference and if you wanted a performance increase with that, then you could just buy an ssd. If you do more heavy work, then it a definite upgrade no matter the drive.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

SSD is a must on any 2015 iMac. Go with this upgrade and you'll notice a difference for sure.

6. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Hi all I do is basic stuff nothing major.
    I just thought that mine is way over due for a upgrade.

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

When you say that, are you saying it because it feels slow and no longer fits your needs? If not then there is no need to upgrade, because if the machine is fast enough for you right now, I doubt you seeing any major differences with a new gen iMac. I would recommend however going to your nearest Apple store and just having a shot of one, as I feel that the screen will be a much greater upgrade for you over performance. Then you just have to decide if that is worth the money to upgrade for what you are gaining.

Hope this helps :)