2010 27" iMac hard disk replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Latt, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Latt macrumors member

Hello

Last night my hard drive finally gave up after a few months of being quirky. (4 months before my Apple Care would've expired, if I hadn't forgotten to buy it back then... )

Since I'm not overly confident opening up the machine, I found a local computer store which does mac repairs (Not a licenced apple store). They've done this plenty of times before and gave me an okay price. They though asked me to make sure the new hard drive I bring to have installed, is of the same model so the thermal sensor will fit.

So this is where my question spawns. How will I know which hard drive will have the thermal sensor connect like the current broken hard drive in my iMac?

I always just thought it was some patch of magic tape with a wire sticking out, that was the thermal sensor and thus any 3.5" hard drive should fit...

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

3. Latt thread starter macrumors member

Apple doesn't make hard drives... I can't remember from the top of my head what hard drive I have in mine now, but I believe it might be Hitachi. Will check when I get home.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, they don't make them but they are probably the only one which can deliver these HD's (New).

Apple does not make Logic boards but they are the only one where you can get them from(New).

Apple does not....you get what I mean.

5. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Apple doesn't make the drives, but they do have them made for them with a proprietary connector, can't just use any 3.5", as the temp sensor is built into the SATA connector. Take it somewhere authorised, not somewhere that makes you responsible for sourcing your own hardware replacement!

----------

Have you checked your serial here:
    http://www.apple.com/nz/support/imac-harddrive/

6. Latt thread starter macrumors member

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

8. Latt thread starter macrumors member

I misunderstood what you meant when you said the thermal connector was part of the SATA connector. Makes more sense now after a bit of research, that if I have a Seagate hard drive for instance, I need to get another Seagate since they keep their thermal connector plugs across the line (mostly).

From what I've found out, as long as I keep that in mind, I can pick pretty much any variation of hard drive as long as it is the same as the original manufacturer of the stock hard drive.

Still hasn't got anything to do with apple branding or apple making proprietary connectors. It's the actual hard drive manufactures proprietary connectors. Hence my confusion.

Edit: But thanks! You confusing me lead me in the right direction :)

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

See this, yes it's the late 2009 model but I do think it is relevant.

Proprietary cable can put the brakes on upgrading Late ’09 iMacs.

10. jlehman macrumors member

Try using OWC and iFixit as a resource.

I think you can replace with a drive of the same manufacture as the one that came with your Mac. OWC does sell WD and Seagate drives but you might have to do some poking around to make sure you get the right one. You could also call them. I'm sure they could help.

You should be able to get into Disk Utility to find out which drive you have, unless the controller doesn't even pick it up. At that point you might have to open it up.

http://blog.macsales.com/2751-proprietary-cable-can-put-the-brakes-on-upgrading-late-09-iMacs

11. Latt thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both of you :)

Since I live in Denmark it's not really viable to purchase anything from an American store, but I'm sure I'll find a hard drive that works now :)

12. Latt thread starter macrumors member

When I got home I command+c booted the iMac to gain access to the hard drive serial number. After I googled it I quickly found out that it was one of the rumoured faulty seagate drives from the 2009-2011 period and I'm eligible for a free replacement. Great success :)

Just wanted to add this update in case someone with a similar problem should stumble upon this thread :)

13. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Ummmmmmm....

A day late, a dollar less...

14. Latt thread starter macrumors member

Ummmmm... and a few hours later not a dime lost. Quite the contrary :p

15. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

From that link:

If I were you I would still contact them, you might get lucky.

16. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Apple regularly make exceptions for machines eligible for this program but outside of the 3 years from date of purchase... I see one a week right now maybe? Call them.

17. Latt thread starter macrumors member

After I checked the SN of my iMac on their 'hard drive replacement program' site yesterday and it told me I was eligible, I did call them just to be certain. Awesome support - Yet another reason to never consider anything but Apple in my home electronics setup :)

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

:D
    Awesome.