2010 27" iMac HD Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alfista, Jul 31, 2015.

1. alfista macrumors member

Hi all,

so about 2 years ago I added a 128gb SSD to my 27" iMac and made it a fusion drive. Upgrade went well.

Today, I was going to replace the 128 with a 500gb samsung 850 and skip the fusion drive all together. I decided to leave the 1tb drive installed so the thermal detection would work.

But dealing with the screen removal is a pain, and I managed to pull off the receptacle for the display cable on the motherboard. It appears to be able to just slide back on, however, and be held in with tension of putting the display back on.

But reassembled, the machine won't even draw power when the power button is pressed. No chime, lights or anything.

Should the 27" boot without the screen working if the damaged connector is not making a good connection or did I do something else wrong?

Thanks,

J

2. sebastius macrumors newbie

I think you forgot the powercable to the motherboard or the powerbutton cable. Should work even with broken displayconnector. Should work without display even :)

Repairing the displayportconnector is a doable but difficult soldering job. I've done several (five at least) and they take me an hour including assembly of the Mac.

3. alfista thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Sebastius - I'll check that out but really thought I reconnected everything I unplugged.

4. sebastius macrumors newbie

It's unfortunate the 2010 doesn't have the diagnostic leds on the main board like the iMacs before (and after, the 2013 has the leds again!). Could have helped finding the problem.

Check for shorts on that broken connector, there are several 12v lines in that displayport connector and if one is shorted, a fuse will blow or the mac won't boot (or both).

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The 2010 does have diagnostic LEDs? They're taped over and can be seen looking through the vent at the bottom.

If you have no life at all it's probably a cable out. Be careful though - give the PSU extra time to discharge.