2010 27" iMac killing SSDs ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by timinireland, Jul 24, 2011.

1. timinireland macrumors member

I have a 2010 27" iMac.

Last year I was running 2 x OCZ 120gb Vertex drives in software RAID. This was fine, until one day the iMac froze, and all i could do was to hold the power button in to shut the system down. After that, one of the drives had died. Tried everything, wouldn't show up in Disc Utility etc.. So it was returned to OCZ, and they replaced it. When i got the new drive back, I sold both of my drives, and bought 1 of the newer Vertex 2 drives, which I have been running as a single drive in my iMac for past 6 months or so with no problems.

I then decided to buy another Vertex 2 drive, and installed it. This time I wasn't running RAID. This time i had decided to use the 2nd drive for bootcamp alone. So the system was setup with 2 separate drives showing.

This was running fine for a few weeks, then last week i upgraded to Lion. That ran fine for a few days, until last weekend when i turned the iMac on, it seemed to take longer than usual to boot, then the apple logo changed to a circle with a line through it... then it changed back, and booted into Lion, but my 2nd SSD, the bootcamp one wasn't showing. Wasn't showing in disc utility either. Each time I would reboot, the same thing would happen, long boot time, logo would change to a circle with a cross through it etc..

So i removed the drive, put it into an external hard drive enclosure, tried it on a Windows system, and it wouldn't even show up on it. So, another dead drive :(

Is it the iMac killing them? Or have i just had bad luck as far as SSDs go?

Thanks for any insight into this.. :)

Tim.

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

OCZ SSDs have been known to fail within short periods of time if you are unlucky. Since one of your SSDs has survived, it is possible that you were out of luck with the other two.

3. nizmoz macrumors 65816

It's your OCZ vertex 2 drives. They have major issues with failing and shutting down and not seen in the bios. Only way to resolve it for a few minutes is to restart. It's all over the reviews and OCZ forums. I have two that died. I switched to crucial and no more issues. Also oczcustomer service sucks.

4. timinireland thread starter macrumors member

I was about to ask what SSD drive would you recommend.. I'll check out Crucial then. Thanks :)

Tim.

5. nizmoz macrumors 65816

For reliability and speed, Samsung 470 or Crucial Firmware v2 are the most reliable it seems.