2010 27" iMac SSD Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MAGNUStm, May 15, 2012.

1. MAGNUStm macrumors member

Sorry to beat a dead horse with a mac but I'm all sorts of confused with all the posts on the subject.

I have the above mentioned machine and wish to install a SSD. From what I've read I'm unclear as to whether or not I'll lose my Optical drive. If I can keep it, great, if not, it's not a deal breaker for me. Just not clear. Also, some posts say I need a specific mount and/or cables but dont say which. (I'm sure someone posted thinks but I cant seem to find them).

Again, sorry to keep bring this up but the million posts on the subject are only confusing me further.

Thanks..

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

You can change your HDD to an SSD and just leave your ODD as is. Many folks opt to install the old HDD in place of the ODD for the added storage space. You will need a bracket to mount the old HDD in the space previously occupied by the ODD. You can then purchase an external ODD for use when needed.

3. MAGNUStm thread starter macrumors member

Can you provide links to the bracket/mounts needed?

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

There are three SATA connections in the 2010 27" iMac. You can get the pressure wall SSD mount and new wiring harness (power and SATA). I used this method with genuine Apple parts to retain my DVD drive and original hard drive, while adding an 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G.

5. MAGNUStm thread starter macrumors member

Where can I get the mount and wiring harness? Also, from what I can tell the 6G are the current/faster drives, are they not compatible with the 2010 iMac?

6. MAGNUStm thread starter macrumors member

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816