2010 27" IMac strange issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JYCH, May 9, 2014.

1. JYCH macrumors member

I have a 27" 2010 imac, and having this strange issue.

I can start it up fine, but in the desktop when I click on any apps/folders/menus, they won't open or do anything. I only see the spinning ball for a while and then stop.

I can't do anything with it, the screen is not freeze, just can't open/do anything. I have to force shutdown everytime. I have tried start it in safe mode but it's the same.

Anyone knows what's wrong with it? thanks

2. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I have not heard of that before. Sounds like a badly corrupted file system if I was guessing. Can you boot from an OSX install disk? That would let you run Disk Utility and hopefully sort out any issues with the file system.

3. JYCH thread starter macrumors member

I'm still running snow leopard, I tried to put in an OSX install disk, but it loads a while and then eject automatically...

4. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Perhaps you can restart in safe mode and run Disk Utility from there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

Honestly, I'm not even sure this will help. Another thing you can try, and bear in mind I'm throwing darts here, is to remove most of the RAM in your iMac and restart. Bad RAM can cause any number of problems, and RAM does go bad on occasion. Happened to my daughter's 2008 iMac. It would start and kernel panic immediately. Bad RAM was the culprit.