2010 27 iMac Target Display Mode, Multiple Partitions & More

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Standard, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Standard macrumors regular

I run OS X and Windows 7 on my 2010 iMac 27". I also have a new MBP 15". Here is my dilemma. I am aware that the iMac can act as an external display for my MBP with Target Display Mode.

I need to run Windows 7 on my iMac while utilization the screen as an external display.

Is there a way I can set this up to function like a regular monitor. I need to be able to.

1. Use the iMac itself in OS X partition and Win7 partition, swapping between the two. Should I run Win7 off an external to do this and swap between screens?

2. Swap from my iMac screen to my MBP screen through TDM.

What's the best way to do this?

2. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

310 views and not one idea? BUMPPPPPP :D Don't flame me bro.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The problem is your post isn't clear. What are you trying to do?

Do you want to run windows on the imac using and external monitor? And connect the mbp to the imac in target display mode?

That won't work since there's only 1 mini display port on the 2010 imac.

Can you clarify?

Cheers,

4. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Im saying is there a way to run both osx and win7 on my imac, and be able to toggle through the screens like expose WITHOUT using vmware or parallels. On top of that, have my MBP hooked up to the screen and be able to toggle between MBP and iMac os?

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

No.

Qualified yes. You can connect the MBP to the iMac and toggle between the two systems using CMD-F2, however, the iMac must be using OS X. The MBP can be running Windows or OS X.

Cheers,