2010 27" iMac vs. 2011 Mac Mini + 27" Thunderbolt Display??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FCSsoftware, Jan 26, 2012.

1. FCSsoftware macrumors newbie

FCSsoftware

Hello everyone, a quick buying question here...

I currently own a 27" iMac with a 3.2 ghz i3, and I was considering getting a 27" display port display for it but I'm having trouble buying it knowing that it's outdated tech now with thunderbolt out.

So I was considering selling the imac and buying a refurb Mini with a 2.5 ghz i5 along with a 27" thunderbolt display, then I'll buy another 27" in the future.

My main question is whether or not the 2.5 i5 is a huge downgrade (or upgrade?) from my current 3.2 i7. I will be using the computer for software development in both OSX and windows.

Thanks!

2. 8281 macrumors 6502

If I am not mistaken, the Geekbench score for the Mac Mini you are considering is 6393, and the score for your current iMac is 5928. Would you notice the difference? Maybe...I don't really know.

But why wouldn't you just buy a new 27" iMac, which starts at $1700? A refurbished 2011 (quad core) model starts at $1420 (and comes with the same warranty).

3. FCSsoftware thread starter macrumors newbie

FCSsoftware

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure how I overlooked the newer iMac refurbs... I'm most likely going to go that route...

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

no it will not be nearly as fast because the processor maybe clocked at 2.5ghz but its graphics card is much much worse so it will hardly be able to push a 27inch screen

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

Check the specs: the current 2.5 GHz Mini has discrete AMD graphics - not the Intel integrated graphics on the cheaper model.

Also note, the 27" DisplayPort display still works with Thunderbolt Macs - you just won't get the extra ethernet and firewire ports & have an extra USB cable to connect, which is mainly of interest if you're using a laptop.