2010 Bad Year for me and Apple Hardware

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TPadden, Dec 22, 2013.

1. TPadden, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

TPadden macrumors 6502a

2010 was a very bad year for me to pick to go Mac. After hearing such good things about the hardware. I bought a MacPro, a MBA 11" for me, and a MBA "13 for my wife, Last year first one of the CPU's had to be replaced in the Pro, then 6 months ago the card in my wife's MBA went out. 2 months ago the other CPU went bad in my Pro (I just got a $600 HP desktop rather than spending another $700 just for the CPU). Today my video craped out. 4 major hardware failures on 3 different machines.

I gave it a good shot but think I'm back to machines I can repair and plug and play.

2. Appledreamer macrumors member

what a shame

3. TPadden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does that mean I have to get rid of my Ipad and IPod Touch too :p .......

As friendly as most of the posts I've read here are I'd really miss this camaraderie :D!

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OK one more... I have a cousin who we nickname the "Klutz," lovingly of course, but what can we do, everything she touches break! we just give her something unbreakable for xmas, like socks. :D She offended some Gadget God somewhere.

5. TPadden thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, one more..... We're in our 50's, retired, and our laptops never leave our house. No one has ever called us "Klutz". I can show you pictures of at least 3 of our other laptops that are so old they run Win 95 without a hic-cup. I've built several computers from mother board up and NEVER had a CPU go. Sometimes you just have to admit you're sacrificing your chickens to the wrong Gadget God :D.

[​IMG]

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

7. mpantone macrumors 6502

Product longevity is a bell curve, you can't predict where you will fall along that curve.

I will point out that Apple customers are at the high end of every single customer satisfaction survey on this planet. That's an aggregated average score, of course. Individual experiences are meaningless from a statistical standpoint.

The fact that you had multiple failures from the same "vintage" of Macs seems to be the exception rather than the rule, since we have not seen a massive drop in customer satisfaction over the years. Likewise, we don't see similar threads here (albeit MacRumors is not a representative sample of the general computing marketplace).

I happen to own one Apple product from 2010, a Mac mini. It has performed flawlessly, and with an increase in RAM plus the addition of an SSD as the primary (boot) drive, it functions even better than the day I bought it. Am I "lucky"? Doesn't seem so. The Mac minis from that era appear to have a good reputation here and elsewhere, and Apple's customer satisfaction ratings from that time frame are superb.

If you have enjoyed better luck with other product manufacturers, I suggest you continue to patronize those makers and forget about Apple Inc. For reasons (fate? destiny?) that are beyond the comprehension of you or anyone else on this bboard, you simply not are not meant to be an Apple owner.

Good luck.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

CPUs going bad? I seriously doubt that CPUs go bad that often - more likely the logic board went bad. I've never even heard of an actual CPU going bad - it's the other parts of the logic board that go bad.