2010 Glossy MBP Owners--glass not smooth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Oct 6, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I was just looking over all the machines at the local reseller and I noticed something peculiar, that I've never noticed on my late-08 machine--on all of the display models, the glass was "crimpled/wavy". It's hard to explain, but the glass seemed to have a texture to it, like it hadn't been properly polished or whatever. Think of the glass used in stained glass applications--it was like that, but on a much much finer scale--of course the glass felt smooth, and looked smooth, until you looked closely and then you realized it was really not smooth at all and was really distorting the reflections of the lights.

All of the display Macbook Pros had this. None of the iMacs did. The more I looked at it, the more it bothered me knowing there's really no excuse for a piece of glass to be completely smooth.

I came home and looking closely at my MBP, I do not have this issue in the slightest--the glass is perfectly smooth, but mine's an older machine. All 2010 models were showing this at the store.

What about you?

2. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

glass is never perfectly smooth

but the distortions you are seeing its just how the coating is reflecting light, it doesnt affect the picture quality you see under the screen in any way

my i7 mbp has that wavy kind of grainy reflection

my regular on my face glasses has that same thing due to the anti scratch coating on it

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

True but there is certainly a night and day difference in glass quality between the display models currently and the one I'm typing on. Very peculiar, especially given that the iMacs didn't have this issue.

4. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

102 views and only one reply?

"Rippled" is the word I was looking for earlier, that's the effect the screens have.

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Have you had your eyes checked recently? ;)

Seriously, I've never seen what you're describing.

cheers
    JohnG

6. RocRizzo macrumors newbie

Not mine

The glass on my 2010 13" MBP is PERFECTLY smooth.
    My only gripe is with fingerprints/skin grease on the display.
    It's hard to control. I have naturally oily skin, so all I have to do is slightly touch the screen, and there's a print there.
    The glass itself, is perfectly smooth though.

7. Bumflake macrumors member

Mine neither

My 2010 15" MBP doesn't show what you described either.
    Maybe its a certain build period? Mine is from the last week of July.

8. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

My glossy 17" is July built too and the screen is perfect

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah I was kind of wondering about that, since they were all the newest models, probably from an April production run. Possibly a bad batch.