2010 i7 MBP...worth updating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Dec 4, 2011.

  1. puma1552 macrumors 601

    Nov 20, 2008
    I've got a 2010 MBP:

    --2.66 GHz i7
    --500 GB @ 7200
    --4 GB RAM
    --NVIDIA 330M 512 VRAM
    --Standard glossy screen

    This machine was an AppleCare replacement for my original MBP, which was a late-'08 2.8 GHz C2D top-spec CTO. I loved that computer to death. This one is better in virtually every way, but I've never really loved it like I did my other one, I guess because I didn't pick it, and because by the time I got this machine there was a hi-res screen option which I really would've liked. Since my 2.8 machine didn't have a hi-res as an option, I wouldn't feel bad if I still had that machine, but since there was a hi-res option when I got this one and I didn't get it, I'm not as content. Weird, I know, since neither machine had/has/would have hi-res anyway. Just something about having the best available I suppose.

    This 2010 computer runs great, and I never bothered to get AC for it. It's 14 months old now. But I just don't love it like the original CTO machine I picked out, don't know why. I should, but I don't. Cosmetically this machine has one 1/4" shallow scratch on the back cover that is hard to see unless in the right light.

    But I'm looking at the machine, and realizing how out of date everything on it is. I'm still on Snow Leopard, iLife '09, MS Office '08, etc. I had an 8 GB RAM kit in my cart on Amazon, but backed out from ordering at the last minute. I passed over upgrading to Lion earlier, but now I'm getting antsy to spice things up. I hear Lion really benefits from 8 GB of RAM though, so I'd either do neither or both. But then I look at the other stuff that's outdated, iLife etc. and it's just like either I should update everything and get back to a current state or just not bother at all. The other thing is I'd like an Intel SSD. I'd like to sell this machine and get a new one that I pick out etc., but at the same time I can't justify it, just like I can't really justify sinking the money into updating everything on a computer I don't absolutely love.

    Is it worth updating? Not even sure what this machine is worth, I put a feeler in marketplace but got zero replies.
  2. Naimfan macrumors 601


    Jan 15, 2003
    I'd put 8 GB of RAM in it, update it to Lion and iLife 11 if you want to, and call it good. (Lion DOES benefit from 8 GB of RAM.)

    You have a great machine, and if it's doing everything you want, why change it? I appreciate you didn't pick it, etc., but you'd lose a lot of money if you sold it and went to a new one (you'd probably get around $1000 for it).

    Hope that helps.
  3. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Well, it sounds like your mind is rather made up. Perhaps a lot of people will react negatively to this thread because of its seemingly illogical nature, but if having an emotional attachment to your laptop is important to you and that just hasn't happened with your current machine then my advice would be to start looking at one that would get you excited again.

    My 2007 MBP had a few replacement keyboards and, in the process of getting repaired numerous times, picked up other damage that eventually 'took the shine off it'. I ended up with a colleague's Rev A MBA as the SSD made it very quick to do a lot of my day-to-day tasks on and, despite having no particular attachment to it either, I used it exclusively for a year or two.

    I've just bought a late 2011 and instantly I feel an attachment to this thing. I went absolute top-spec (inc SSD and RAM), which may well have something to do with it, but it does feel like *mine* and, all being well, it'll be my primary machine for many years to come.

    So, while you should probably just be happy with what you've got, if it's important to you to have a machine that 'gets' you then don't waste time on your current one and start looking at your options.
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    Is it worth upgrading...

    - to an high res AG screen? Yes!
    - to a quad core i7? Probably not, unless you need more computing power
    - to a faster GPU? Probably not, since you don't seem to care much about gaming

    The 8 GB RAM, SSD and OSX Lion upgrades can be applied to both machines, and cost about the same (except Lion which is free with a new machine). So they can't really be used as argument to replace a 14 month old machine.

    I just deleted a bunch of other stuff I was writing, and will just say what I would do in your situation:

    Wait for spring/summer 2012. Sometime next year, apple will update it's MacBook Pro line with the new Ivy Bridge Intel CPUs. This might also involve a redesign of the MBPs, the introduction of a 15'' Macbook Air, or both. By that time, I also expect that more useful thunderbolt devices are available (and maybe USB 3.0 in the mac?), and you will find it much easier to justify an upgrade from the 2010 machine.
  5. SDColorado macrumors 68020


    Nov 6, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Personally I would do the updates on it. Maybe if you tuned it up a little, more RAM, upgrade to Lion, update to iLife '11 it would begin to feel more like it was yours, rather than something that was forced on you.

    But it is a personal choice. You rarely get as much selling a used one as you would like to think, and the difference between what you have, and what you might like, is probably going to be a lot more expensive than upgrading that one.

    Nobody else can really make the decision that is best for you. If you honestly think you would still be unhappy with it, even after the upgrades, then maybe it is time to cut the losses, sell that one, and upgrade to one you choose.
  6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

    Nov 20, 2008
    Thanks, I'm thinking I may upgrade to 8 GB of RAM.

    To do this, I just shut the computer down like I would any other time, turn it over and pop the cover out, swap out the RAM, and turn it back on like any other computer and it will just instantly recognize the 8 GB with no issues?

    Basically I don't need to do any special prep to the computer before swapping it out?
  7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

    Nov 20, 2008
  8. SDColorado macrumors 68020


    Nov 6, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    The part numbers are different. CT2CP51264BC1067 vs. CT1226773 from the Crucial site, but doing some searching on specifications, I don't see any differences in the specs. They both appear to be DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 RAM modules.

    It could be that the longer part number from Microcenter simply represents a retail package vs. Crucial's own part numbers. It may amount to nothing more than Crucial internal tracking for sales and warranty.

    With the RAM from the Crucial site, you are guaranteed it is the right one, but the choice is yours. It should work fine.

    In regards to your other post about upgrading, you pretty much summed it up. It should just boot up and recognize the additional RAM.

Share This Page