2010 iMac 2.93 i7 VS 2008 Mac Pro Octo-Core 2.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcaraballo70, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jcaraballo70 macrumors member

I was currently given a 2008 Mac Pro Octo Core 2.8 with 30" Apple Cinema Display. The computer was used by my Brother for Wedding Video Editing. That company went bust - long story short I was given this computer.

It has the following: 6GB of RAM, OEM ATI 2600XT 256MB, 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cashe Hard Drives in each bay, Black Magic HDMI Card, Full Final Cut Studio and CS4 Suites, 30" Apple Cinema Display.

I dont use any of the Pro Apps at the moment. Nice for them to be there but I don't have too much more interest beyond the iLife suite. Some time down the road I guess I could learn those programs but then I think to myself I really dont have that need.

I was thinking about selling the entire rig on Ebay. Not sure how much a package like that would net me dollar wise - but I was looking to relace it all with the New 2010 iMac 27" 2.93 i7 with the ATI 5750 Card.

I love to play games (Blizzrd and others) and from time to time may edit something in iMovie.

Am I being stupid to get rid of this machine?
    Should I just add more ram and get the New ATI 5850 Video Card to play games. Will the imac give me more performace for what I intend to use the computer for?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you don't need the expandability in the future, sell it. It will sell for more than the iMac cost and if you want to save some $, get refurb iMac. For your usage, iMac should be faster due better single-threaded performance and iLife is pretty much single-threaded

3. jcaraballo70 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Im interested in your thoughts on what someone at work told me....

Using the Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM and install (2) ATI 5770 Crossfire and run all games in Boot Camp via Windows 7 will destroy ANY current iMac with the best Video Card.

What do you think?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

True but dual 5770 will cost you 500$ which is about one fourth of the price of the iMac. Blizzard games aren't that heavy so iMac can handle them just fine. I think the main question is do you want to keep is as it is and save the hassle or do you want a new, shiny iMac and get some extra $ as your setup is worth more than the high-end iMac is