2010 iMac as monitor for gaming PC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zamera, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Zamera macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi all, haven't been able to find a proper answer to this on the net yet so here I am.
    I've got a 2010 27inch iMac and have decided to go back to gaming. But I don't have space for 2 monitors on my desk so I'd like to use my mac as a monitor. I read that it should be possible with the 2010 iMac but it's not clear to me as to how? I'm not so tech savvy so I need clear instructions ;)
    Many thanks.
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    You shou8ld read Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions. Two important things to note is first that Apple only talks about it being supported Mac to Mac. Second if it has any chance of working from a Windows box, the video board in it has to have mini DisplayPort output - no adapters, just a straight miniDP to miniDP cable and even with that there's no guarantee that it would work.
  3. Zamera thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2014
    Thanks... I guess I'm hoping to hear from someone who's actually done it, hope you exist!
  4. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2010
    AFAIK this should work. It was after the inclusion of the thunderbolt port that the iMac could no longer be used as external display for a PC.
    You would have to get confirmation from people who has done this though.
  5. robo456 macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2008
    New Jersey
    I'm sure someone will pop up that actually has done it, but I know the Kanex XD works for XBox/PS3 (http://www.kanexlive.com/xd)...