2010 iMac boot from external drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HE15MAN, Nov 17, 2013.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I am wanting to occasionally boot my old iMac HD up with a 2010 27" iMac. Any advice on what enclosure I should buy?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you just have the "bare" HD, don't buy an enclosure at all.

Instead, buy a USB3/SATA docking station. To see what's available, go to amazon, and enter "usb3 sata dock" in the search box, and you'll get many hits.

The advantage of having a dock is that you can use the drive you have..... or another drive.... or another drive..... -- you don't have to be fooling with enclosures.

The drive will behave "as if" it were an "enclosed" drive. You can boot from it, etc.

The only disadvantage is that it doesn't look quite as "clean" as would a drive enclosure. But the benefits of "swap-ability" outweight that (at least for me).

I've had good experiences with docks from plugable.com (no financial interest other than being a paying customer).

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Would it run ok over USB 2.0 since that is all the iMac I has supports USB wise? I was thinking Firewire would be better

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, USB is backwards compatible so it would work, but you are correct FW 800 would be faster.

5. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just search Amazon for "firewire 800 enclosure" there are bunch on there.