2010 iMac Crashing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BenjaminMac, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BenjaminMac macrumors newbie

My new 2010 iMac has been crashing lately for no reason. At first is would just freeze up silently and i would have to shut it down manually. Now when it crashes it speakers go nuts with a very loud sound that sound like "death".

I did put 4 gigs of new ram from cruscal in over a month ago (close to when these imacs came out).

All Apple Hardware checks find nothing wrong.

It happens randomly and wont happen for days then will come back.

I have checked logs and could find nothing, is there a specific play in the logs i should look at? maybe even link it to you folks?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you have the top version of Techtool you can look to see if there are drive errors or bad sectors -- either of which can freeze the machine.

If you don't have that a free version is SMART Utility

While a drive may "pass" disk utilities or another app's SMART check with a pass, it is meaningless and pointless and you need to look at the stored errors and such on the drive.

So you need a tool like SMART Utility or the top Techtool to yank the data off the drive -- not something that pats you on the head and tells you it'll be alright like Disk Utility.

3. GyroFX macrumors 6502

why don't you take out the extra 4 gigs of ram you've installed and test it out for a day or 2. Maybe it's the ram afterall?