2010 iMac discount when refresh hits

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kelleybp, Apr 14, 2011.

1. kelleybp macrumors member

How much (if any) will retailers mark down their current stock of 2010 iMacs when the refresh hits? I'd specifically like to know about Best Buy, and I assume that past years would give some indication. My local Best Buy has at least six 27" models in stock (not sure which cpu) and over twenty 21.5" models, so I would think they'd be aggressive in wanting to get those units moved once the refresh is out.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There are many that are unaware when a refresh occurs and end up buying those. I wouldn't expect a drastic discount.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Given the glacial pace of Apple's updates and Intel's current, more rapid Tick-Tock development strategy, the few hundred you save on a refurbished machine will not be sufficient compared to the improvements Intel has made on the hardware in addition to the GPUs. You will lose more in the longer run.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Might depend on the amount of stock they have. If they have hundreds of machines, then the discounts may be more dramatical. I wouldn't expect more than 100$, max 200$ discount though. In my experience, most Finnish resellers give no discount at all. I asked them once and they simply said that people will buy the old stock for full price too.

5. haveaniceday91 macrumors member

Any idea on Apple 2010 refurbs? MBPs were discounted upto 30% on the high end models. I'm hoping that the trend will continue for the imacs.

6. JeepGuy macrumors regular

I agree, When a new model comes out they typically only knock off $100, they pray on the unknowing to clear out the stock. that's what I've noticed in the past. When apple went from 24" to the 27" iMacs apple put the overstock in the Clearance area, not the referb area.

7. kelleybp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. For an extra $100 I'll just get a new one.

8. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

the mbp's at best buy after the recent update were discounted like 100-180 dollars it seemed so i would expect a similar trend.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The refurbs of previous models have the high discounts when there is a drastic change in architecture/performance. Small step improvements typically only result in an additional $100 discount. So the extra discount is pretty much inline with the performance.

If you don't need the performance, it's certainly worth the wait for these bargains.