2010 Imac fan + temperature

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Danando1993, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Danando1993 macrumors regular

This may be me worrying about nothing but lately the fan on my 2010 i3 imac has began turning on and the back of it feels quite hot, in the 7 months I've had the machine I can't remember the fan being on this much. Here is a screen shot of the temps could anybody tell me if they are too hot or what would be classed as over heating thanks.

Attached Files:

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

What's up with the Safari CPU usage? I'd check into that first, maybe you've got a dodgy extension or something.

3. Danando1993 thread starter macrumors regular

I think its down to a flash sight im using a lot on safari, could this be the reason for fan being on? although it has only begun recently and I have used this site for a while.

4. paulbeattie87 macrumors regular

This is likely to be the HDD fan. Your hard disk drive in the screenshot provided is operating outside the designed temperatures. Most 3.5" drives will be rated to 50ºC, some 55ºC. Yours is at 60. The small hold near the stand is the HDD exhaust, the rest goes out at the top.

Not sure about the latest iMac but on mine, 24" 2009 the maximum operating temp is 35ºC. You're sitting at 35ºC ambient, you might want to look at cooling down your surroundings too. Must be pretty hot for you too!