Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I currently have an early 2011 MacBook Pro (15" Matte screen, 2.0Ghtz i7, 8GB Ram, 500GB Drive) and have an offer to trade it for a 2010 iMac (21", 3.6 i5, 8GB Ram and 1TB drive) PLUS a 16GB iPad 2 WiFi.. I'm tempted.. I came across this offer looking for a low price iPad for my kid. I barley ever take my MBP with me so I won't miss the portability (and I already have an iPad 3 for myself when I do travel I take that). 75% of the time I use the computer for web-browsing and emails.. the rest of the time is in iPhone, Aperture and some light editing in Photoshop..

Will I be taking too big of a step backwards? I'd be going from a Quad Core to a Dual Core w/ HT.. RAM is the same (although I could try and bump the iMac to 16 if it would help). I know for browsing its probably an irrelevant change but for what I do in Aperture I'm wondering if I'll get sick of the pinwheel... HD would be double on the iMac which is a plus because I only have 70GB free now. (I do a lot of pics and keep them on my primary drive and back them up externally).

So what do you think? Keep what I have or do the swap??

Thanks in advance...

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
Well a lot of it depends on what you use your computer for. The iMac is still a capable machine and will serve you well, but your tied to your desk. You MBP is more powerful and more capable than the iMac. However the addition of the iPad is a nice touch but remember that the iPad will not be an adequate replacement for your MBP. Its not a bad deal per se it just depends on your needs and how much you value portability. If you want an iPad and are ok with always working on a desk than your all set with the trade and it would serve you well.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Well a lot of it depends on what you use your computer for. The iMac is still a capable machine and will serve you well, but your tied to your desk. You MBP is more powerful and more capable than the iMac. However the addition of the iPad is a nice touch but remember that the iPad will not be an adequate replacement for your MBP. Its not a bad deal per se it just depends on your needs and how much you value portability. If you want an iPad and are ok with always working on a desk than your all set with the trade and it would serve you well.

Thanks.. I'm not too concerned w/ being tied to the desk. Its so rare that I take my laptop with me anywhere. I used to, but haven't had a need in quite a while. I know an iPad doesn't replace a laptop but for the basics (mail, web) it does enough when I'm on the go..

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
Well in that case then the trade actually sounds pretty good for you. The iMac will be plenty powerful for what your needs are and you gain a larger screen plus its all in one so that nice. Gaining and iPad is also a plus, I have one and although I don't use it as much as I would like its still a handy tool. Its especially useful waiting for a flight after my MBP or MBA dies on me lol. The iPad is a great media consumption device and you'll be very happy with it. I would say if you cool with being tied down to a desk and like the iMac and want an iPad then you've got a pretty good deal going here and I would take it.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
With the uses you described, really, the biggest difference you'll notice is the improved screen size.

Remember too that you'll need to transfer all you stuff from one machine to another, secure erase the old, deauthorize iTunes etc etc.

I'd just stay with what I've got and keep an eye on the used iPad market.

a.Lias

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2005
Thanks.. I'm not too concerned w/ being tied to the desk. Its so rare that I take my laptop with me anywhere. I used to, but haven't had a need in quite a while. I know an iPad doesn't replace a laptop but for the basics (mail, web) it does enough when I'm on the go..

Given this, I would totally jump on the deal. There's no point to having a portable if you're just sitting at the desk with it anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.