2010 iMac GPU Speculations.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leftywamumonkey, Jul 6, 2010.

1. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Hi, This is my first post, I am sorry if i have done something incorrectly in advance.

I am going to buy an iMac when they get refreshed, whenever that will be. I am no so confident in the dates I have seen in the forums.

The main thing I wanted opinions about was,

What kind of Graphics Card do you think will be in the new iMacs? In the high-end. Right now it is a ATI Radeon HD 4850 Mobility.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4850.13975.0.html
    Benchmarks in the link above.
    I want to play URT, Counter Strike Source, Team Fortress 2, and Modern Warfare 1 and 2. So I want to get the best Graphics card possible in the iMac, and no I cannot afford a Mac Pro.

What Kind of Graphics card might be in the new iMacs? 5850? which isn't much better than the 4850... Or possibly NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480M :D http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480M.30196.0.html

Thanks,

2. Durious macrumors 6502

3. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

That would be nice, but the GTX 480M would be nicer :)

May I ask you a question? I know it is possible to connect a third monitor to the iMac via USB, but do you know if this is a good way to go? The quality would be good from what i've seen from the websites, but I dont know about the response time and lag, etc. Just wondering if you knew anything about this. Thanks again.

4. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

i play on my 4850 iMac on all high setting and all Steam games play beautifully

5. Durious macrumors 6502

yeah I totally agree with you aphxtwinin the current i7 Mac is amazing and I would get it except were too close to a refresh to not wait 0-3 months more. If I had the $ in October 09 I'd definitely be on the iMac right now! :)

6. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Durious, may I ask you a question?

7. Durious macrumors 6502

sure what is it?

8. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I don't know if your familiar with this but here it goes. I know it is possible to connect a third monitor to the iMac via USB, but do you know if this is a good way to go? The quality would be good from what i've seen from the websites, but I dont know about the response time and lag, etc. Just wondering if you knew anything about this. Thanks again.

9. Durious macrumors 6502

I don't believe they are using USB, I think they are using the mini display port on the back of the iMac and using a the connector that allows "dual dvi's" I think that would allow 3 monitors but i'm not 100%

10. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I think they will put 480 desktop version in mac pros, and a mobility 5870 in the iMacs. The 480-- even in mobile version, still has a tdp of 100 watts, which is way too much for the iMac.

11. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

The problem is that the two monitors would have to be the same resolution and size, but there are products that use USB such as this one, http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/VIDU2DVIA/
    and these are all of them.
    http://www.displaylink.com/shop/index.php?product=5

Thank you for your reply. It means a lot to me.

12. Durious macrumors 6502

yeah that's what I was figuring to, I'm sort of curious on bus speeds if well see anything above 1067 for ram\board or perhaps a jump to 8Gb on high end model... doubtful but we'll see! :)

13. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The iMacs can already support ram of up to 1333mhz. The lynnfields don't have a frontside bus for it, but they do have their own bulit-in memory controller capable of ram up to 1333mhz. Intel did this so the lynnfield's dual channel memory can rival bloomfield's tri-channel memory. Dual channel 1333mhz memory in theory has 21gb/s bandwidth while tri-channel 1067 memory has a bandwidth of 25gb/s.

But when it comes down to it, you won't notice the difference between 1067 and 1333mhz ram, because hardly anything would take advantage of such a high memory bandwidth.