2010 iMac had vertical lines on screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ThatEnchanted, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ThatEnchanted macrumors newbie

Hi I own a really old iMac like a 2010 edition, and I have never had this problem before. So yesterday morning i was watching some YouTube videos and another application was open.(minecraft). So while watching the video my screen started shuttering and it crashed. I thought it was no big deal but it kept happening so i went off for a few hours. I went back on in 4 hours, and it kept happening. After a couple of times or it happening when I turned on the computer, there were a bunch of vertical and horizontal lines and it wouldn't show the login screen after the apple sign disappeared. So I tried a bunch commands and finally went to safe mode and got to login. Its working fine and i can open apps and login, but the wifi wont work and the had this screen so i can barely see anything. But it's like the picture below now im talking a picture of what it looks like. Please help I can't spend money and there are no apple shops near me.

[​IMG]

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

GPU (Graphics Card) is likely dead.

If you have no money to fix it and it's not in warranty. The best thing you can do is open the machine, give it a damn good clean and reapply some new thermal paste to the heatsinks but to be totally honest, it looks like it's too far gone for this.

If you can drum up the money I'd either source a new GPU (providing you have a discrete card that is replaceable) or take it to an Apple store, but expect a hefty bill if it's out of warranty, unless there is a replacement programme for this fault (but I don't know your exact specs so can't be sure).

Btw I wouldn't consider a 2010 iMac to be old :)

Also it likely works in safe mode because safe mode turns off graphics acceleration which is putting less strain on your graphics chip and so it can cope better. There's nothing you've really done to cause this and sometimes it just happens, although intense gaming in combination with a lot of dust in the machine can cause high temperatures which will ultimately fry your GPU.

3. ThatEnchanted thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks or the tips and bye right now it is in safe mode thats how I got it to show the login screen.

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Cool, well I'd use the safe mode opportunity to grab what files you can because it won't be long until the GPU can't function in safe mode either.

5. djc6 macrumors 6502

Why don't you lookup the serial number here so we know which mac you have:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Like what kind of graphics card, which size display, what model iMac, etc..