2010 iMac HDD recall, get SSD instead?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tyche, Oct 18, 2012.

1. tyche macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2010 iMac 21.5" BTO 3.6Ghz version with 1TB drive that has now been recalled by Apple. Around my area isn't much for Apple stores but there are authorized resellers I apparently can take it to for the repair.

This got me thinking of perhaps getting an SSD instead in place of the hard disk and have the store do the work for me. From what I recall and tried looking up the 21.5" 2010 model isn't very friendly to SSD's but I'd like to know if there's been any improvements. I'm running Mountain Lion now.

I was thinking of an OWC 3G SSD but they seem to only offer the optical bay replacement option as a doubler. Is it not possible to pull the hard disk out and replace with SSD while still keeping the optical drive? I found hints it can be done but it's sort of under the table. Can I pull the hdd and replace the optical with SSD. Ideally, I want to boot SSD and ignore the platter-based drive. I don't use a lot of local space, all my data is on NAS.

So, what are my options?

2. wacomme macrumors regular

I have the same question.

3. Tigerman82, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I'm on the recall program as well (mid-2010 iMac 21.5"). I had previously thought about replacing the HDD with SSD. However, the fan problem seemed so difficult to solve completely that I decided not to do it. Now that I may have a faulty HDD (although this Seagate has been extra quiet and worked perfectly), I see this as an opportunity to once more try the SSD route.

Obviously opening the iMac looks scary but there are a lot of video guides out there and having opened up a 2009 Mac Mini twice, I have gathered some courage to do some DIY with these Apple devices. I think I'll be on the clear just as long as I have the patience to carefully disconnect the cables when detaching the LCD.

The only problem is with the temperature sensor which I hear is not compatible with SSDs (I plan to get Samsung 830 256Gb). I understand there are three solutions. The first is to use a programs like SMC Control to control the fans (which are maxed out because the heat sensor doesn't work with the SSD). The problem is that most of the programs cost money and don't work with Bootcamp (I do use Windows from time to time). The second solution is to 'short-circuit' the temperature sensor which sounds a bit too drastic. The third solution is tempting: replacing the HDD heat sensor with ODD/optical drive heat sensor that can be bought online. This sensor can be expensive online but for example this isn't too bad. I am only a novice when it comes to computer DIY so hopefully I haven't misunderstood anything. This sensor, if I read correctly, should work in some fashion and there shouldn't be any 'soldering' involved.

Before I'm going to attempt anything, I would like to confirm to following:

1) Is it true that using an optical drive heat sensor works as the heat sensor of the SSD? Is the heat sensor cable the same as in the iMac in question or other kind (I've heard talk of 'old heat sensor')?

2) Is it true that SATA II SSDs are a better bet to be used in these iMacs as SATA III SSDs. I obviously know that iMac doesn't have SATA III speeds (I installed a SATA III SSD into my 2009 Mac Mini which negotiates only 3g) but I've heard that there could be some compatibility problems as well. Is this true?