2010 iMac or 2014 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by leahh, Aug 5, 2014.

1. leahh macrumors newbie

I dont know the first thing about this but the two computers I have to choose between are:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...e-i5-2.8-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

or this macbook:

2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (8 hours)2

The computer will be stationary, I just need to know which computer has the better specifications, thanks :)

2. simsaladimbamba

The newer one of course, except its display size.

What are you going to do with the computer? Maybe the 2010 iMac will more than suffice for that?

And have you ever thought about the Mac mini?

3. leahh thread starter macrumors newbie

I can only choose between these 2 sadly. The newer one is faster even though it's a laptop?

4. simsaladimbamba, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

simsaladimbamba

It has a ten times faster storage device, the processor is twice as fast, it has more RAM and the graphics card is also much better.

Strange though, that you can only choose between four year old hardware for probably around 500 € and new hardware for 2.500 € and not in between.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

As simsaladimbamba mentioned, it is really odd that those are your two choices. Hands down, the rMBP is better in literally every aspect except the screen size. If you needed a desktop, and could choose, I would get this one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0PG4LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-35ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i7

I am assuming you can only pick between the two because it is a work computer. If that is the case, and you need a desktop, then try talking to your boss about this one. It is cheaper than the rMBP and it is much more powerful. The 2010 iMac is a significantly worse performer than the rMBP though if you can't choose. I would purchase an external 27" 1440p IPS monitor for $400-$500 if you need the real estate. Don't get a 2010 iMac if you can get a much better computer.

Matt

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The laptop is definitely faster. If need a bigger screen you can always get an external monitor. If you get the iMac, it be any faster and it sure won't be portable.

7. rei101 macrumors 6502a

8. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer