2010 iMac screen smudging

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macalaka, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Macalaka macrumors newbie

Had to take in my iMac last week(2010 27" i5) due to the infamous screen smudging issue. The top left side of the screen looked like someone touched the screen behind the glass with dirty fingers. It spread halfway down the screen in on the left side and was looking pretty bad before I took her in.

Apple thankfully is taking care of it. They said the display was going out and needed to be replaced. Free of charge under AppleCare.

If you notice this on your iMac, have it checked before AppleCare runs out!
    Otherwise its $625 to fix..
    She is going to be hitting Craigslist when she comes back from repair though. I hear the problem is due to heat on the iMac's and that the issue will return more sooner than later.

2. jqc macrumors regular

have the same problem and am thinking of taking it in. Is it covered under the standard one year warranty or do you need applecare? and how long is the turnaround time?

3. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

It should be covered under the standard 1 year parts warranty. Applecare, to the best of my knowledge, only extends the warranty and adds some small perks (I think someone here mentioned they offered to do a service at home for him/her? Idr exactly). The standard warranty lasts for 1 year after your purchase date :)

4. Macalaka thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is still under the one year deal and they are replacing the display, no charge.
    They took one look at it while it was booting up and told me "Yup, its a bad display", tagged it and wrote me up a repair ticket.

5-7 business days is what they told me. They have to order a display, wait for it to come in and then install it. They don't send these off to get repaired at the depot like they do with laptops(or at least the apple store I took it to did not send it out to depot).
    Bottom line, get it fixed. Now while its free.
    I hate that I have had such crappy luck with apple displays. I had to have the display on my 15" 2010 MBP replaced about a year ago under warranty as well due to the "starfield" dead pixel problem.

Hopefully I will not have to get the display fixed on my brand new MBA within the next year..but I am not holding my breath..lol