2010 iMac Seagate Replacement Drive Program question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MMcCraryNJ, May 18, 2013.

1. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

Hello all,

So my 2010 iMac (which is still under AppleCare until December of this year), is eligible for a hard drive replacement under the Seagate recall. It's always been a grumbling hard drive, and the performance is very slow at times.

I was wondering, for anyone who has gotten a replacement under this program, were any of you able to convince Apple to replace it with a different kind of drive? My thinking is, I want either an SSD or a Fusion Drive put in for performance reasons, and I am willing to pay the difference of cost (say the Fusion Drive is 100 or so more than what the 1 TB would cost me, I would be willing to pay that difference).

Would the Genius Bar be able to do this, or are they strict about only using what the iMac originally came with?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Like for like. And I would get the drive replaced soon if it needs to be replaced.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they dont do upgrades, especially on warranty machines. plus it wouldnt be 100$ or so, youd need to get an SSD + HDD and the appropriate cables to get that all set-up.

However if you take it to an apple service provider, your options may be more in your advantage. they can still replace the drive for you if need be