Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the 2010 iPod Nano

• Yes, I like/want one

Votes: 102 52.6%
  • No, I don't like/want one

Votes: 82 42.3%
  • Meh, whatever, I don't like your poll.

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Well now that the rumors have been confirmed and the new iPod Nano is using the 1" X 1" touchscreen, how do you like it?

Basically, if you are/were in the market for a Nano, would you buy this generation or last generation.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
If I was in the market for a Nano right now, I'd pick up the older model. What happened here? Same price, for LESS functionality?

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I like the style of it. As usual, the ads for it are very good. I think they will win a lot of people over.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
For $149 the new nano is a rip off, why would they make it the same price if they took out all the main features that were in the 5G nano. There is no video camera, microphone, internal speaker, alarm clock, and the screen is as small as the 1G and 2G nano and there isn't as many colors. For $149 you can get the new Archos 32 that has a 3.2" touchscreen, Android, Apps, Video Camera, 8GB, speaker, microphone, and way more. This new iPod nano could sell pretty well if it was $99 for 8GB, but Apple is making a mistake with this.

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
new nano is awesome! but here's the catch - i'll be using it as a replacement for my shuffle.

my clip-on ultraportable setup. i've never bought a nano before - i use my iphone as my main ipod, have an old mini permanently in the car and a 20gb ipod i never use and a couple of shuffles.

it's just a shuffle with touchscreen to me. hopefully when i see it in person it won't seem too big - but looks like a good clip-on from the commercial.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I'm a practical guy and prefer function over style. I prefer last year's model when it comes to features.

Nano 6, not for me.

If they can make the screen a tad bigger, make it capable of playing video again, and add the external speaker and video camera again, I would consider it. Until then, I will wait for Nano 7.

But the idea of it being a watch has alot of potential. But I prefer to wait this out. This years model looks to be sold alot on Craigslist by next summer. I see alot of buyer's remorse within a few months after the early gimmicky features wears out.

This year's Nano is more of a iPod shuffle replacement and not a true successor to the Nano series.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I'm a practical guy and prefer function over style. I prefer last year's model when it comes to features.

Nano 6, not for me.

If they can make the screen a tad bigger, make it capable of playing video again, and add the external speaker and video camera again, I would consider it. Until then, I will wait for Nano 7.

But the idea of it being a watch has alot of potential. But I prefer to wait this out. This years model looks to be sold alot on Craigslist by next summer. I see alot of buyer's remorse within a few months after the early gimmicky features wears out.

This year's Nano is more of a iPod shuffle replacement and not a true successor to the Nano series.

Agree completely, it's like Apple went back to 2006, without the touch screen.

It's a tribute

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
UK
For me the 5th gen was the peak in Nano amazingness, one of if not the best products I've ever bought, it goes everywhere with me.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
I really want to try it out in store, but I still feel like it's too small of a touchscreen.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I use my nano for music only so the video and camera functionality being dropped isn't a real big issue for me.

The big issue for me is no capacity updates and no tactile feedback.

Will not be ordering any iPods for the 2nd straight year, there has been no real incentive to update since 2008..for me anyway.

nickk2

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I broke the tie in favor of the nano. But a tie shows a lot of things, considering that there are very few apple products that people don't want.

Personally, I think it'd be a pretty bad music player (I don't like the design for it much, in terms of ipods). It's also too expensive for a budget iPod. For $80 more, you get two cameras, a bigger screen, proper iOS, app store, retina display, wifi, bluetooth, improved battery life, and more.

I think apple should charge $79 for the 8GB Nano, $99 for the 16GB Nano, and probably $39 for the shuffle.

I'll probably buy one to use as an iWatch when apple gets the price down.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Make or Break

I have to go to the Apple Store when these come out. I want to see how well I will be able to use the touchscreen. I want to see how durable and reliable the clip would be. If I were to run on a treadmill or lift heavy weights, I do not want to be distracted if it falls off, stepping on it or placing weights on top of it.

JPTech

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
I must say, this is a tough one... I really liked the old nano and was going to sell my Tocuh to get one, but decided to wait for the new models... that may have been a mistake, but then again, the more I look at the new nano, the more I think, "Well it does LOOK kinda cool..." I'll have to try it in person before I decide. And wow that was one whole sentence.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I’m pretty much in love with the new iPod nano. I wanted something more than the iPod shuffle for working out and the old iPod nano was just too big.

I wish it had Bluetooth/Nike+ built-in. But other than that I’m satisfied. I hope someone makes a cool armband for it.

Personally, I think last year’s iPod nano was suffering from feature creep. I love how everyone hated the low resolution video camera last year, now it’s the best thing ever.

Maybe next year it’ll run iOS and we can add small widgets to it like weather, calendar, etc.

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
Im on the fence about the new design. I dont actually see it being functional as someones main music player. I will probably get one to replace my shuffle for when I go on runs and use it as a watch at other times. I really have to see it in person first before I make any final decisions though.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Im on the fence about the new design. I dont actually see it being functional as someones main music player. I will probably get one to replace my shuffle for when I go on runs and use it as a watch at other times. I really have to see it in person first before I make any final decisions though.

Just wondering if u have an iPhone y do u need the nano? I know the phone is heavy and might be annoying to run with but.....$150 For a iPod when u can get a case to attach your arm or just in your pocket. As cool as it is that is a little steep, I'm trying to question your buying but I'm curious

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I really like the old model. The new nano feels more like an iPod touch mini, and while it has many nice features, I don't feel that it fully replaces the functionality found in the former iPod nano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.